Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nocturnal leg cramps

Unhappy nocturnal leg cramps

I figure there's a lot of folks my age around here, and somebody has some experience with this. I get leg cramps in bed at night that can bring tears to my eyes. Some nights I'll get up 2 or 3 times, with one leg or the other or both cramped and in pain. It's usually the calf, but can also be an ankle or even the ball of my foot that's cramped. The only relief is to walk around until the cramp goes away.

Does anybody out there know of something that will stop the cramps from happening? Or, some relief other than "walking it off"?

Ouch.

You staying hydrated enough? What color is your urine if you take a leak at night? Light yellow/clear or dark/orange?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My wife suffers from these night leg cramps, she has been taking clonazepam for years, it works. A prescription medication for anxiety but in very small doses it stops muscle cramps without other effects, an inexpensive medication ($3 or $4/month) but your doc has to prescribe it.
    Last edited by julian abram; 09-22-2015 at 4:30 PM.

Have your potassium levels checked. Also regular stretching knocked mine out, but only after I learned to briskly walk for 5 or 10 minutes before stretching. Stretching cold muscles does more harm than help. If that doesn't work, medicate.

Proper hydration and potassium (bananas and kiwis are good sources) have already been mentioned. Magnesium is also helpful for muscle cramps. I had similar issues on a recent trip to Germany and was able to find an off-the-shelf magnesium supplement (500mg) at a convenience store that was specifically for muscle cramps.

if you are on any medication, the cramps may be a warning sign.......call your doctor.......leave message with a live attendant.......my doctor does not mind me letting him know of stuff between my 2 regular checkups each year, he will return my call or have assistant call with instructions........hopefully symptoms or conditions do not change often.......I would definetly call him about leg cramps......cramps are a warning sign if you are taking metformin

See a doctor please

A little shot of tonic water and juice in the evening works for me. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

You say "my age" but I don't see anything in your profile and you didn't state it.

I've had calf cramps at night on and off since high school (I'm 35). Usually it's after a grueling workout and I didn't hydrate enough. I'm willing to bet you're not drinking enough water. I'd try hydration and bananas for potassium before you try a doctor.

Can't offer help, only sympathy. My wife suffers from the same thing. She can almost feel it coming on.

Stretching before bed seems to help a little.

Allan mentioned tonic water. I had a podiatrist recommend that to me for foot cramps. Check to see that it has quinine in it. It is the quinine that is supposed to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    You staying hydrated enough? What color is your urine if you take a leak at night? Light yellow/clear or dark/orange?

Erik
    Yellow and smelly. I drink water during the day, but also some coffee, wine with dinner, and a couple cocktails before bed. I get up 2-3 times at night typically, as I have mild prostate issues.

The cramps are not new, I've had them for years. Doctor's only advice was to stay hydrated. I get a blood test a couple times a year (watching cholesterol and prostate numbers), but I don't know if they look for potassium levels. I'll inquire at my next visit.

I also have circulation issues in the left leg (the one that cramps most often), which someday may need vein bypass.

I have met lots of people who experience this and nobody really has an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    Allan mentioned tonic water. I had a podiatrist recommend that to me for foot cramps. Check to see that it has quinine in it. It is the quinine that is supposed to help.
    Thanks, I looked that up. It seems that quinine can be fatal in doses that are suitable for treating leg cramps. The FDA has banned marketing it for that purpose:
    http://www.forthepeople.com/class-ac...-side-effects/

I already have cardiac issues, so I think I'll pass on the tonic.

Sux to get old.

I started getting nighttime leg cramps 10 years ago when I started Lipitor. The recommendation was to take it at night before bed. I tried and experiment on my own and started taking it in the morning and most all my leg cramps went away. I do still get them from time to time and it is attributable to hydration. Lipitor affects your hydration. If you are taking a statin (crestor, lipitor, etc). talk to your doctor about switching the time you take the med.

Yes, I take a statin - a generic one. I was on Crestor and the incidence of cramps was no different. I take my meds in the morning.