Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An easy upgrade for Harbor Freight bar clamps

An easy upgrade for Harbor Freight bar clamps

Historically I haven't been a big fan of the cheap aluminum bar clamp. But I learned a technique from Paul Sellers, on how to easily upgrade these clamps so that they become rigid and much more practical. You can turn $10 clamps into $30 clamps.

In this video I demonstrate how I go about this modification, and also show how to install some nice pads for the jaws.

Interesting concept.
    I would guess that by adding a slow setting epoxy to sides of the insert would make it even stiffer and reduce twist even more.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

I'm sure that would, but it may be overkill. For the amount of pressure you'll use with these types of clamps, the wood is enough in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    Interesting concept.
    I would guess that by adding a slow setting epoxy to sides of the insert would make it even stiffer and reduce twist even more.

Please allow me to compliment you on the great editing job on the video. You probably cut out 2/3 or more of the total time and you didn't lose one bit of information. Most how-to videos of this type just go on forever because the creator either doesn't have the skill or is too lazy to eliminate long boring sequences. I wish more people would create videos like you.

The clamp modification as very clever too.

Thanks for the nice compliment. I've been guilty of overly long videos too, but lately I'm working to make them more snappy. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Please allow me to compliment you on the great editing job on the video. You probably cut out 2/3 or more of the total time and you didn't lose one bit of information. Most how-to videos of this type just go on forever because the creator either doesn't have the skill or is too lazy to eliminate long boring sequences. I wish more people would create videos like you.

The clamp modification as very clever too.

Thanks Marty,
    I have 2 of the 24" clamps. This will greatly increase rigidity.

Ellery Becnel

Thanks for posting this Marty! I'll try this out next time I buy clamps.
    Fred

Great video. Looks like i'll be going to Harbor Freight!
    Thanks for sharing!!

I have a decent amount of those clamp, if you go to harbor freight make sure youbring a 20% off coupon and a free item, you can get tape measures, screwdrivers, multi meters etc for free with purchase, if I need more then 1 item I will take my wife or sister and make them check out, so I can get use 2 20% and 2 free item coupons.

coupons
    http://www.hfqpdb.com/

I haven't used one in 10 years; maybe they have improved them. My problem was that the aluminum just tore out if you put any pressure on them.

I'll throw in another great job on the video.

I also hate it when people just ramble on, too many 10 minute videos with maybe 4 minutes of actual info.

I haven't had any issues with mine. Keep in mind though that these are medium-weight clamps at best. If you need to really crank down on the clamps you'll always be better served by Bessey type bar clamps or pipe clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I haven't used one in 10 years; maybe they have improved them. My problem was that the aluminum just tore out if you put any pressure on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hearn View Post
    I'll throw in another great job on the video.

I also hate it when people just ramble on, too many 10 minute videos with maybe 4 minutes of actual info.
    Thank you!

Great video! I really appreciate the information!

I have a few dozen of those Harbor Freight aluminum bar clamps in varying lengths. I have found that when I do a good job of cutting acurate length pieces and everything fits together well that these bar clamps in stock form give me plenty of clamping pressure... So I usually use my vast set of pipe clamps!

Marty thank you for posting this video. Very well executed.