Thread: Need Information RE: KTS 6inch 3/4 horsepower Jointer

Need Information RE: KTS 6inch 3/4 horsepower Jointer

I am in the market for a 6 or 8 inch jointer. I have located a 6inch KTS Jointer locally on Craigslist with a 3/4 horse motor. In the pictures it appears to have been manufactured in the mid 80's but I can't located any information on this unit on-line.

I am concerned that it may require a manual or new knives or other parts and that they may not be readily available. Has anyone used this unit or know anything about the manufacturerer and whether parts might be available. Most of the usual sources for parts don't seem to have any listings or information on the unit. It is listed for $200 but I don't want to purchase someones white elephant.

Any and all feedaback is appreciated.
    John Bullock

Hi John, I think you should pass on the one it's been on CS for a while.Im not familiar with the Name Kts but it sure looks like something that might have been sold at Harbor Frieght.
    Too many good machines out here in So Cal.Theres a 6inch RockWell Delta in Bell Gardens for 550.Looks really nice.
    Plus plenty more out here in the Inland Empire.Good Luck.Go USA!

3/4 hp is not much and 6 inch is small. Get at least an 8 inch; you will be happier.

Great Advice - Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Hi John, I think you should pass on the one it's been on CS for a while.Im not familiar with the Name Kts but it sure looks like something that might have been sold at Harbor Frieght.
    Too many good machines out here in So Cal.Theres a 6inch RockWell Delta in Bell Gardens for 550.Looks really nice.
    Plus plenty more out here in the Inland Empire.Good Luck.Go USA!
    Sounds like good advice. I have seen quite a few 8 inch jointers made by reputable manufacturers at the $500.00 price point with 2 HP motors including Grizzly and Powermatic. Seems like a really old machine, underpowered with potential parts issues. Confirms my suspicions to avoid this purchase.

Thanks All

Quote Originally Posted by John Bullock View Post
    Sounds like good advice. I have seen quite a few 8 inch jointers made by reputable manufacturers at the $500.00 price point with 2 HP motors including Grizzly and Powermatic. Seems like a really old machine, underpowered with potential parts issues. Confirms my suspicions to avoid this purchase.

Thanks All
    I think you made a good call. My old 6" Powermatic had 3/4 hp. It would do normal edge jointing all day but was underpowered for face jointing.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney