Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any other way to drill?

Question Is there any other way to drill?

Why is it in instructional or DIY videos we are told to "pre-drill" holes. Pre-drill? Really.

And why are so many YouTubers so weak in their presentations that they are constantly saying, "I gonna go ahead and . . . ?" Gonna go ahead and? They must like to hear themselves talk. I generally stop watching at that point.

I expect a lot for free, huh.

Tony,
    Grammar is a lost art in America, just listen to the number of times a newscaster or actor (they are paid to talk) misuses "can" instead of "may" or "would" instead of ""should". apparently we just don't place any value on articulate communication any more.

Pet peeve of mine.

Blog Entries
    I share Bill's frustration. In a minor defense of the "talking heads", they are just reading a teleprompter and would probably have trouble going off-script for any period of time ;-) As to pre-drill? I'm sure they mean pilot hole and in any fine furniture pieces . . . yes, really ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-14-2015 at 9:23 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Why is it in instructional or DIY videos we are told to "pre-drill" holes. Pre-drill? Really.
    It can depend on the context. For me drilling holes much bigger than 1/2" with a brace, pre-drilling means drilling a small hole to guide the threaded part of an auger bit. In many cases the larger bits can split the wood without a pilot hole.

For screws especially a pilot hole is "pre-drilled." Brass screws will often break without a proper hole "pre-drilled." Without the bit made and set to "pre-drill" ahead of a flat head or counter sunk head screw it can take three different bits.

For another type of bit called a spoon bit it is helpful to have a starter hole to prevent the bit from wandering.

With larger bits it helps to have a small hole "pre-drilled" to guide it.

For installing hinge screws I use a gimlet bit to "pre-drill" the screw pilot holes. The gimlet bit tends to self center in the hinge's screw hole making a guide for the screw hole drill.

In general when used as needed it makes for a more accurate and neater looking result.

Of course as others have stated it can just be a poor usage of grammar.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ooooo, Jim, all you say I understand. All the drilling is part of the prep work, but the "pre" part . . . ? Don't go over to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Ooooo, Jim, all you say I understand. All the drilling is part of the prep work, but the "pre" part . . . ? Don't go over to the dark side.
    Well... if you don't "pre-drill", the screw will "drill" the hole(or the nail will make a hole). Thus we pre-drill to prevent the screw from drilling(an possibly splitting) the wood! Makes perfect since to me. Of course, grammar isn't my best thing either.

The quality of material that is available for free online often is worth exactly what you paid for it.

John

In metal (Al. & steel e.g.), if you want the drill to hit its target without wandering, the target should be spot drilled first (pre-drill??). Typically, the hole, for a regular drill (118° ) should be preceded with a 120° spot/countersink. In wood, a sharp brad point drill will track itself, needs no pre-drilling.

Kinda like everyone saying that you should use a "sharp" chisel. Why would ya use a dull chisel unless you're opening a paint can?
    Yep! I'm a grammar Nazi.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    Kinda like everyone saying that you should use a "sharp" chisel.
    Maybe they had a situation like one of many encountered with fellow workers in my working life. One in particular was an assignment to find out why gate barriers weren't working at a public transit station. I knew the control wiring was at a remote location so I told my assistant to get a radio. When it came time to use the radios, his was dead. His comment was, "well you didn't say I needed to bring a working radio."

When you take it for granted that everyone knows "you should use a sharp chisel." You will encounter an endless supply of idiots who "didn't know you meant a sharp chisel."

It is bad enough that many inexperienced folks do not know what sharp actually is.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post

And why are so many YouTubers so weak in their presentations that they are constantly saying, "I gonna go ahead and . . . ?" Gonna go ahead and? They must like to hear themselves talk. I generally stop watching at that point.

I expect a lot for free, huh.
    "Pre-drilling" has nothing to do with drilling holes, it's what you do before drilling a hole.

That can range from making and enjoying a mug of Earl Grey tea, to laying out and punching the center points for the hole location.

There is no such thing a pre-drilling holes, with regards to the drilling of the hole.

Regards, Rod.

Jim, you're not pre-drilling anything.

You drill pilot holes as part of the drilling process.

You can have a pre-drilled hole, you just can't pre-drill one.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Well... if you don't "pre-drill", the screw will "drill" the hole(or the nail will make a hole). Thus we pre-drill to prevent the screw from drilling(an possibly splitting) the wood! Makes perfect since to me. Of course, grammar isn't my best thing either.
    Duane, you aren't pre drilling anything.

You're either drilling a hole, or you're not.

To visualize this better, substitute the word sawing for drilling.

Have you ever pre-sawn a cut?

You can have pre-drilled material, or pre-sawn material however you can't pre-saw or pre-drill anything.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Grammar is a lost art in America....
    There are many misuses that make me cringe. The most common one is : "their" instead of "they're". That's my prominent grammatical error of the week. Next week it will be something else. Yes, I think we're getting stupider .. or more careless.

And here I sit, thinking this was about how to drill a proper hole.... Silly me!