Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: G0766 opinions, considering a new lathe.

G0766 opinions, considering a new lathe.

I have the nicer Harbor freight lathe and I have really enjoyed it, but I like making big bowls and it is to fast and very under powered, i saw a G1495 at a garage sale the other day that I considered, but I think it has the same flaws as my Harbor freight lathe, I would really like to get a g0766 it seems like a great value, and has a capacity for pretty huge bowls. I know a lot of people on here bought one and wanted to hear if you regretted it or if it was what you were looking for?

2. My G0766 is running great, and I am very glad I got it. A smooth, quiet and powerful lathe with basically the same features as the Powermatic 3520b, with the exception of the spindle lock button........the G0766 uses an index pin for the spindle lock feature [which I personally prefer]

3 hp- 3 phase motor, premium Delta Electronics M series inverter, 42" between centers, and stable. Best value on the market for a large lathe.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The 0766 lathe is great. Sounds like it will do everything on your want to do list and more. If you were closer I'd have you come over and try one. Good luck with what ever lathe you upgrade to.

Red
    RED

Does anyone know where I can get a Grizzly 10% coupon this fall?

One of the woodworking magazines (either WOOD or WWJ I don't remember which) usually has a coupon in the fall and the other one in the spring.

Red
    RED

IMG_1667.jpg
    Here's my G0766 from last night... It's performing great and making plenty of shavings! Only complaints are the ones already discussed by everyone...shipping and banjo. I'm imagine by now the shipping is in better shape, and the banjo issue is getting rectified... For a turner like me on a Harbor Freight budget, it's been a dream machine! I've turned some fairly big wood on it...20 inch bowls 8-10 inches deep. No problem at all spinning it fast and throwing shavings all other the shop.

Squint your eyes and pull the trigger on it, you'll be happy you did!

Mike, you need to make sure your family knows when you are at the lathe. Otherwise, you could become MIA in shavings!

i have not seen the 0766 in person, but I did take a good look today at the new Laguna 1836 while at Woodcraft. Laguna has somewhat of a checkered past on lathes, but from looks alone (I did not turn on it), it sure seems like they listened to folks. It was clean and with only a couple of minor things, very impressive. Nice, wide stance in the legs and some excellent design features and options. It would be helpful, of course, to hear testimonies from experienced turners before considering that option.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Gotta finally get up the nerve to say this, but it sure seems to me somebody in the Grizzly Marketing Department has figured out how to get the audience to plug this particular lathe. I mean, the specific make and model number keeps popping up in the SMC subject lines, right down to the designation of an zero instead of an "O." The questions and comments sure sound like setup, too. Might just be my suspicious nature, but it has occurred to me that all these mentions might be a PR ploy spurred on by a sales rep. Don't get me wrong; I own several Grizzly machines (none of them lathes) but I've always thought of this brand as rather run-on-the-mill quality.

Having said that, I'll chime in on John's comment about the new Laguna 18-36 and give it a plug. Two of my fellow turners purchased them in the last two weeks, and it really looks like an extremely well-designed machine, and a great buy for the $2350 price tag.

Time will tell for both of these. Stay tuned.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Russell, I would say, "Absolutely not" to your fears. These guys do not fake reviews and they do not hesitate to encourage each other to spend tons of cash and credit. Grizzly lathes were gaining acceptability over time with their last two bigger lathes. When the G0766 came out in the catalogue at the end of last year, they had significantly beefed up the size and power, with a significant price drop. A lot of people saw their opportunity to buy a larger, more affordable lathe. I have been watching the details of reviews closely and plan on buying mine in the Spring or Summer.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

10. Yeah,...what Brian said. I have zero affiliation with Grizzly, and what you are seeing Russell , is the fact that a good number of people have now had time to vet their G0766, and have found it to be a fine performing, large lathe. While they are updating the banjo [commendations for stepping up!] and they had some loose conditions in a few of the crates, they are addressing those with the factory from what Shiraz Balolia told us.

Mike's pic above says it well.......this is a very capable lathe!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get a Grizzly 10% coupon this fall?
    There used to be one in Wood in the fall. I have not seen it yet. I already had it by now last year. I also got one last year in an e-mail last year around this time. Woodworker's Journal usually shows up in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by mike pockoski View Post
    IMG_1667.jpg
    Here's my G0766 from last night... It's performing great and making plenty of shavings! Only complaints are the ones already discussed by everyone...shipping and banjo. I'm imagine by now the shipping is in better shape, and the banjo issue is getting rectified... For a turner like me on a Harbor Freight budget, it's been a dream machine! I've turned some fairly big wood on it...20 inch bowls 8-10 inches deep. No problem at all spinning it fast and throwing shavings all other the shop.

Squint your eyes and pull the trigger on it, you'll be happy you did!

WOW - what did you turn! (you better get a bigger fire extinguisher)

Mike

Thanks guys, I'm really hoping I can scrape up enough pennies... I have also found a delta dl 40 that's up for auction, if the price is right i may jump on that, it's currently 200$ it ends Thursday so I'll see what happens there but if that falls through the g0766 is really the only new lathe I'm considering, it's definitely over my budget but seems like a good value. I haven't seen anything else that is anywhere close to my budget for comparable size, speed control etc.

About packing, my first 766, the packing was horrible! No crate damage at all but they could have just thrown everything in the crate loose and not made much difference. Sent that puppy back after finding a few flaws too many.

The next lathe had heavy crate damage, nothing to do with Grizzly. Obviously far better packed, a far better packing protocol just for starters. I have been a bit cursed with the 766, this one had a "bearing" rattle. When I took apart the headstock I found the bearing rattle was actually a loose spacer. Anyone interested can learn about that in the Grizzly group area.

I had already bought some hopefully upgrade Japanese bearings at the same time I had Grizzly send me a new set. I put the Japanese bearings in as hopefully an upgrade while I have things apart.

My lathe isn't bolted down so I built a tray to hold seventeen or eighteen half-pads at 35 pounds per. Haven't got it fully loaded yet but I spun up the lathe yesterday to see what I had with just the faceplate on it. The belt was on the low speed pulleys so I just spun it up to 1220 RPM but it was almost ridiculously quiet at that speed with the motor at full RPM of course. Impossible to see the machine is running looking at the bed. Laying a finger on the bed there may be the slightest vibration or it might be imagination, it is that little if any.

I roughed a fifty to seventy-five pound chunk of out of balance oak before adding the ballast. Was working OK although RPM was limited to three to four hundred due to rock and roll. I was turning between centers and wasn't particularly surprised when I spun a spindle drive center. Waiting on stuff to get here and I couldn't put my chuck and Texas spur on.

Had a lot of headache with the Grizzly. I know the folks at tech support pretty well and they are all pretty nice! Judging by my second lathe I would say the packing issue is largely taken care of. I confirmed before buying the second one that all 766 owners will receive the new banjo when it is available.

Considering how stout this machine is, the quality of build, and my needs I don't think I will ever need another lathe. Good thing, if I get the itch I don't see any reason I can't use this lathe to turn stuff to pay for either a homemade monster or an American Beauty. Have to admit that I would like to have an American made lathe, as much general principles as anything else. I could buy a half-dozen of the 766's for the price of one American Beauty fully dressed like I would like it. That makes the green machine look a lot nicer than if it was close to the same price!

Been busier than a three legged dog scratching fleas between end of summer on the farm and other commitments. Hard to believe how long I have had the new lathe sitting there and haven't really turned anything on it. Most of my toys are in place other than my vacuum chuck which is about 80% complete and my camera system for my hollowing tool which I haven't even started on, got a laser anyway. Hopefully I'll get something turned very soon. A little cooler weather finally came this way and will help encourage that. I am turning in an old galvanized dairy barn with no climate control. A week ago I could have fried eggs and a side of bacon on the lathe ways!

Hu

I would absolutely buy a g0766 again, the minor issues can not diminish the fact of a big lathe at a small price. As this would not be the first thing I have bought new that I did not have to fool with some. Did some outside turning the other day 15 x 8 red oak unbalanced no vibration issues.