Thread: Under lathe storage and weight cabinet done.

Under lathe storage and weight cabinet done.

Well this is not a turning project but it is for my lathe. I wanted to make a cabinet for under my new G0766 lathe to store all the various turning stuff that we seem to collect and I also wanted to add a little weight to it so after thinking about various options I decided to completely replace the legs and build a whole new cabinet. I used some 2x4's, 2x6's, the shipping crate, a sheet of 1/2" plywood and some old 2 1/2" thick maple boards I had been moving around for 20 years to build it. I made chambers down both sides and across the top and added 450lb of sand to it. All total I think the cabinet weighs around 650 lb. 5 large 28" deep drawers should hold quite a bit of stuff. I still need to mount a piece of 80/20 on the headstock end that will stick up over the headstock to mount my hollowing TV on and I am thinking about building a 20" extension to the bed so I can slide the tail stock down out of the way of the hollowing rig so that I don't have to pick it up off the lathe. By replacing the legs I also was able to lower the lathe an inch which is a better height for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

That's a nice looking set up.

Nice cabinet. Your solution follows the same route mine did, I salute your thought process and finished project as well.
    Robust American Beauty lathe, 25” swing, electronic variable speed 80-3000 RPM
    Colt SML-350 14” midi-lathe, electronic variable speed 80-3700 RPM

'73 52" Rockwell-Delta Unisaw, 14" Variable speed Jet bandsaw, 6" Jet Jointer, 20" Dewalt scrollsaw, 15" Craftsman drill press

Tinkerer and woodturner
    1,475 mi SSW of Steve Schlumpf

Nicely done and great looking.

Red
    RED

I'm jealous!! Nice job.

6. Well thought out design, Sparky! You have a great setup there! Do you have feet on the cabinet, or did you put casters on it ao you could make it mobile?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Terrific cabinet Sparkey. That should be super solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Well thought out design, Sparky! You have a great setup there! Do you have feet on the cabinet, or did you put casters on it ao you could make it mobile?
    Roger
    I used the feet off the original legs. The old floor is quite unlevel so I needed to be able to adjust for that. Didn't want to make it mobile as the lathe and cabinet total about 1200 lb.

All

Thanks! It seems that it going to be really stable and I know I will love the storage.
    Sparky Paessler

Nice looking cabinet and about the right number of drawers. The sand should give plenty of ballast and since you use a hollowing rig, not as much need to stand at the end.

Consider making an insert similar to a kitchen drawer insert for tableware to keep spindle accessories in. I did when I built my drawers and it has proven very handy. Drive centers in one slot, worm screws in another, jacobs in a third and live center a fourth. Other slots for other commonly used items like the green weeny, small brushes, tailstock chuck adapter, spindle thread adapter, etc.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Nice looking cabinet and about the right number of drawers. The sand should give plenty of ballast and since you use a hollowing rig, not as much need to stand at the end.

Consider making an insert similar to a kitchen drawer insert for tableware to keep spindle accessories in. I did when I built my drawers and it has proven very handy. Drive centers in one slot, worm screws in another, jacobs in a third and live center a fourth. Other slots for other commonly used items like the green weeny, small brushes, tailstock chuck adapter, spindle thread adapter, etc.
    Thanks Thomas! Still trying to get all basic cabinet stuff finished! Will worry about the drawer inserts later after I use it some but your idea of putting some in is a good one. Once I get the TV mount built and decide on the bed extension and make it (or not) then maybe I will move on to drawer inserts. Might actually use it to turn something one day! Although the pictures seem to indicate otherwise you could still stand at the end and turn, I never seemed to do that though. Might buff off the end.
    Last edited by Sparky Paessler; 09-11-2015 at 9:33 AM.
    Sparky Paessler

11. Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Paessler View Post
    Roger
    I used the feet off the original legs. The old floor is quite unlevel so I needed to be able to adjust for that. Didn't want to make it mobile as the lathe and cabinet total about 1200 lb.

All

Thanks! It seems that it going to be really stable and I know I will love the storage.
    Thanks for that info, Sparky......I could not tell on my ipad if they were the feet off the lathe, or leveling casters. When I get my new shop, I may "borrow" your design for my G0766, but may use leveling casters on it for mobility and stability when needed. 1200 lbs. should serve you well!

That is truly an impressive and functional lathe cabinet!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Sparky,
    That is a fine looking cabinet, particularly the matched drawer fronts. That big 766 looks like a midi lathe mounted on top of that cabinet! I am impressed that you were able to repurpose some of the Grizzly crate. Your shipper must be a lot more careful than UPS Freight in Chicago. I have received two crated Grizzly machines, and the crates barely held together long enough to get the tools out of them and get them to the dumpster.
    Congratulations.

Got my TV mount for my video hollowing rig mounted to the bench this afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

stellar job..very well done..my only quibble is I think your feet will bang into the cabinet while you work..I find that totally annoying so I had to extend my top.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks Jon and Michelle!

MIchelle you make a good point about my feet hitting it. Don't know if that will bother me or not. If it does I think I can cut a toe kick area out in the bottom of the front and fix it hopefully!
    Sparky Paessler