Thread: Powermatic Table Saw - Fence Replacement

Powermatic Table Saw - Fence Replacement

I previously on a Delta Unisaw. Upgrading to a Powermatic 2000 has been fantastic except for the fence. I found the aluminum fence on the unisaw much easier to work with when I am handling large pieces of wood on my own. The aluminum fence was easier to line up on.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Has anyone modified the powermatic with some type of aluminum facade?

I have a 9' long piece of extruded aluminum that I clamp to my Powermatic fence when I am cutting down sheet goods. The extra 7' of fence in front of the blade makes it tons easier to keep large sheet goods against the fence!

Mike, could you post a couple pictures of how you clamp the supplemental fence? Sounds like a good idea. Does it have a leg underneath it for support?

It is a piece of ~2"x 4" aluminum extrusion with the "T" track type groves in it on all sides... I forget what the technical name of the stuff is. I just use the little "T" track pieces in the groves with studs and push them through a couple holes in my fence. It works great for everything but 1/8" sheet goods because of the rounded corners on the aluminum extrusion.

I used it a lot when I was making kitchen and bathroom cabinets and I was using my original Powermatic 65 fence that locks in the front and back so it didn't need an extra support. I do use in feed rollers with the extended fence. I also clamp a six foot 1"x6" to the bottom of the fence in front of the saw table to provide a lip to support the sheet good I am cutting. All that extra fence in front of the blade really helps a LOT in keeping the sheet good from getting off kilter while I am feeding it through the blade.

My father bought the aluminum extrusion from a scrap metal place and paid by the pound prices. He used a different piece extrusion to make a great router table fence.

I will try to remember to take a picture of it the next time I am in the shop.

DSC06852-1.jpgDSC06848-1.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 09-11-2015 at 12:44 AM.

Thats a great idea. I could even buy an extra unisaw fence and drill two holes through the existing powermatic fence and attach it the same way the unisaw fence attaches to the arm on the Delta with two carriage bolts.

Thanks for the great idea.

Hi Mark,
    The Unifence is a great design, and if you really liked the old one, used ones are out there. Check e-bay and craigslist.
    Would be simple to mount a uni rail to your PM, two holes to drill.
    I don't know what fence came w/ your PM, but you may be able to sell that to help pay for the uni.
    Good Luck,
    Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    I forget what the technical name of the stuff is.
    80/20 extrusion. Or, modular framing

Mike,
    Any chance you could snap a pic of it all setup? I recently bought a PM 65 at auction that will need to be restored, but it has the same original fence that you mentioned.

Try these guys. I've heard good things...

http://vsctools.com/shop/product-cat...ble-saw-fence/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A. Small View Post
    I previously on a Delta Unisaw. Upgrading to a Powermatic 2000 has been fantastic except for the fence. I found the aluminum fence on the unisaw much easier to work with when I am handling large pieces of wood on my own. The aluminum fence was easier to line up on.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Has anyone modified the powermatic with some type of aluminum facade?