Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot return policy change without notification

I am feed up with with squares​ that aren't square, parallel clamps that aren't parallel, and tools with steel so soft they bend at the first use. Three weeks ago I purchased a Makita 2012nb planer from HD. Every few passes the work would not feed, wnen it did feed it cut a small snip. I expected a snip even though the POP
    Material says "no snip" Exhanged it for another one, same make and model. This one would not feed at all. Returned the second one and received a refund , no questions asked. The reason I purchased this, and many other items from HD is their return policy. I have never bought, used, and returned any item that worked properly. HD needs to know what products have a high failure rate, the manufacturer needs to know and the consumer needs to receive products that work properly. It must be good for business or the policy fade away.
    Bill
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

That's a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by william watts View Post
    I am feed up with with squares​ that aren't square, parallel clamps that aren't parallel, and tools with steel so soft they bend at the first use. Three weeks ago I purchased a Makita 2012nb planer from HD. Every few passes the work would not feed, wnen it did feed it cut a small snip. I expected a snip even though the POP
    Material says "no snip" Exhanged it for another one, same make and model. This one would not feed at all. Returned the second one and received a refund , no questions asked. The reason I purchased this, and many other items from HD is their return policy. I have never bought, used, and returned any item that worked properly. HD needs to know what products have a high failure rate, the manufacturer needs to know and the consumer needs to receive products that work properly. It must be good for business or the policy fade away.
    Yes indeed. If a product is unsuitable for its purpose, you should be able to return it, but of course you need to _tell_ them that it's a useless piece of ..., in a way that makes it clear that that's why it's being returned. That's why they ask. Things should eventually be set right, with the manufacturer or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Yes indeed. If a product is unsuitable for its purpose, you should be able to return it, but of course you need to _tell_ them that it's a useless piece of ..., in a way that makes it clear that that's why it's being returned. That's why they ask. Things should eventually be set right, with the manufacturer or whatever.
    Well, they do ask "anything wrong with it" and I tell them.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    A couple years ago I was in HD shopping for a carpet cleaner. A guy walking by, stopped and asked me what I was buying. After I told him, he stated he came into the store, bought one, took it to the new home he was buying, used it to clean all the carpets in the house he was buying and then returned it for a refund. I am often surprised places like HD and Costco have such a easy return policy. Do people realize or even care that once something is used, it can't be sold as new and the business can lose money or profit? In the end, the buying public pays higher prices to make up for the people who do this stuff.
    This is how I feel about people who avoid paying sales/use tax on online purchases or otherwise cheat on their taxes. They take advantage of the system and everyone else pays a higher rate to make up for the dishonest ones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    This is how I feel about people who avoid paying sales/use tax on online purchases or otherwise cheat on their taxes. They take advantage of the system and everyone else pays a higher rate to make up for the dishonest ones.
    Hold on... We don't choose to not pay taxes, they choose not to charge us. Although that has pretty much stopped. And we often buy online because the selection is often much better than available locally. Not to mention pricing. No dishonesty here bub.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Hold on... We don't choose to not pay taxes, they choose not to charge us. Although that has pretty much stopped. And we often buy online because the selection is often much better than available locally. Not to mention pricing. No dishonesty here bub.
    Same here. In addition though is that it saves a lot of time running around to get the item even if it is available locally.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Actually, people do "choose" not to pay the sale tax when it's not collected because pretty much every state that has a sales/use tax has a mechanism (and requirement) for us to pay sales/use tax at Income Tax Return time (15 April more or less) on purchases made online that did not collect sales tax. While that has indeed stopped with retailers who do more than a particular amount of business in various states due to recent law changes, it still happens with smaller firms.

One other place that some folks make choices...folks who own businesses and have a tax exemption number. That tax exemption isn't "blanket" for all purchases. It only applies to things like materials use to produce a product or to be resold, etc....the exact requirements are state specific. PA actually regularly reminds businesses about this via various communication channels. While I'm careful to only claim tax exemption on applicable purchases, I know a lot of folks who but all kinds of things for personal use or even business use that technically do not qualify for sales tax exemption. It's a choice that people make.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-18-2019 at 9:32 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As Jim pointed out, your state’s sales tax law almost certainly requires you to pay “use” tax even if the seller did not collect “sales” tax. They are the same tax and are the responsibility of the buyer in either case. The seller only collects sales tax from the buyer and transmits it to the taxing authority. And your taxing authority did not “choose not to charge” you, they just don’t currently have the power to compel some online sellers to collect it for them. As you note, that is changing.

There are many reasons to buy online, but you still have the obligation to pay taxes on those purchases. Bottom line, you are being dishonest whether you are aware of it or not.

Here in California retailers are not required to collect sales tax, only remit it to the state. Now and then an ad appears with a big header that states " buy this Gizmo and don't pay the sales tax". The seller still pays it to the state with his own budget. The consumer would not be responsible to report on his income tax. Randomly a state auditor my come to your business,​ just to check.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Arruda View Post
    Hello all,

I had some small items left over from various things I've done around the house recently and decided to gather them up to take back to Home Depot. These items were purchased at various times over the past couple weeks and I of course misplaced my receipts. Meaning they got washed, tossed, used for scratch paper.. you know how it goes. I didn't think anything of it, as it's never been an issue- take things back, get a store credit, buy more crap I probably don't need.

They rang me out, ran my ID and the return was declined. I was shocked- I do return a lot to HD, but most of the time it's with a receipt- things like, do I need #6x3/4" screws or #8x3/4"? Buy both, return the wrong size next time I go to HD. I return without a receipt every 3 or 4 months I would say, at most. I called the return verification company and they told me I didn't have any bad marks or excessive returns, Home Depot themselves have tightened up returns without a receipt and if I have a problem with that, I need to contact HD in writing and wait 4-6 weeks for a response. No, says I, that just won't do.

I go back in to the returns desk and ask for a number for corporate. The checker goes and confers with someone in the customer service pen and comes back, asks me to step to the side and wait for a store manager. She comes up and I tell her the story I was just told. She says that's nonsense, it has to be me making too many returns and asks for the return denial receipt. I give it to her and wait as she calls the number herself in front of me. They tell her the exact same thing. Incredulous, she tries to tell me it's my return record. I ask her if they said that to her, ir if they said it was a HD corporate change. Reluctantly, she backpedals and says they told her it was corporate, but anyway, she would do an override and accept the return- this time. I thanked her and waited for her to get it done. To occupy my time, I looked up the number and called corporate customer service on my cell while I waited.

By now, the manager was still having some type of issue with the return, so she disappeared and another woman, who I assume may have been a district manager who happened to be at the store, comes to carry on where the other manager left off. I finally get through to CS on the phone, who tells me that yes, they have recently made changes to their returns policy through the verification system. I thank him for the information and go back to the new woman helping me, who has now run the return 3 times with no luck. She says "we'll have to go above manager" and digs into her ID pocket to get out another folded up piece of paper with other higher up pass codes. She gets the return done, give me my store credit and I tell her what corporate just told me. She's noticeably perturbed, apologizes and tells me nothing at all has come down the pipeline to them in the stores on this change. We discuss how this is going to mean managers getting to deal with ticked off customers a lot more now, and I go on my way.

So, in short, Home Depot has unofficially changed their return policy for items paid with a gift card or store credit, as well as any cash based purchases without a receipt. The CS rep from corporate explained to me that gift cards, store credit and cash are all processed the same, and not recorded for tracking in the system- there's no way to look up purchases with any of those payment methods. So basically, now HD will only easily accept returns without receipt on purchases they can search for in the system, made with credit, debit or check payments.

I tell ya, that was the hardest fought $30 worth of gang boxes, conduit terminations and sundry items I've ever returned. It was all small stuff- the most expensive item was a $8 quick release 1/4" quarter turn plastic valve I ended up not needing when installing a water filter system.

-Michael
    I don't know of any store that will take items back without a receipt. There is a small lumber company next door to my HD that sells a lot of items cheaper than HD. Without a receipt you could buy those items and go next door to HD and take them in for a refund and make a profit. What I don't like is Home Depot taking items back that were misused or used and put them back into inventory. I've bought lumber before that has had saw cuts on it. I've seen recessed light fixtures with overspray all over them. I did a tile job yesterday where I bought 6x6 wall tiles only to find out two of them were 5 1/2"x6". Someone had cut them and took them back. I was able to use the two in places I had to cut but I could easily had to make another trip back to the store to do the job.

I purchased an electric razor at the local Walmart. When I went to take out of the package I noticed that the inside of the package and razor were covered with the results of some one having used the razor, it was covered in the whiskers. I returned it and made Walmart aware that the condition was gross.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I purchased an electric razor at the local Walmart. When I went to take out of the package I noticed that the inside of the package and razor were covered with the results of some one having used the razor, it was covered in the whiskers. I returned it and made Walmart aware that the condition was gross.
    I've made a purchase at walmart and damaged the box a little getting it open. Then find out the product was defective so I took it back. A few days later I see the item I returned back on the store shelf. Recognized the box. I guess they figure they will eventually sell it to someone not willing to return it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Bottom line, you are being dishonest whether you are aware of it or not.
    Dishonesty is doing something intentionally which you know is wrong. Acting without honesty. Many of us choose to have a professional prepare our taxes, so we are not aware of the nuances in the sales tax laws of each state. So we not being dishonest. Hold up your hand anyone that voluntarily keeps track of all of your online purchases where tax was not collected.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 10-19-2019 at 8:38 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Many of us choose to have a professional prepare our taxes, so we are not aware of the nuances in the sales tax laws of each state.

As part of the tax preparation process, your paid preparer should be asking you if you have any sales/use tax to declare for out of state online purchases if your state has sales/use taxes...they cannot answer the question on the return forthrightly without asking you that. You may not know the answer, but they have to ask if it's on the return. Tax preparation software that many of us use to do our own taxes also asks the question as do the paper forms for most, if not all states, that have sales/use taxes. The issue has been in the press quite a bit over the past few years as new regulations are passed. So I'd contend that for "most folks", there's little reason for them not to know about it. As in all things about the law, not knowing the law does't release us from it, either.

But yes, it's absolutely true that most people do not keep track and remit. That's why many states are now requiring (legally enforceable) that out of state vendors who's revenue from their state exceeds a certain amount must collect and remit sales tax at the state's rate for purchases by residents of their state. PA requires that now, by example. I suspect it will not be much longer until this becomes universal and that the only thing holding it back is the complexity that it poses for small business software to be able to track, maintain and remit sales/use tax for the over 3000 individual jurisdictions in the US that would apply.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...