Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Video of Burglar Casing My Home with Close Up

Video of Burglar Casing My Home with Close Up

See video clip from last night at 3:30am

https://video.nest.com/clip/20143cfc...8f7392dbe9.mp4

I have a Great Dane sleeping in the room next to the carport but he didn't wake up. If he had, all "hell" would have broken loose because that dog does not like strangers. I've called an electrician to hard wire a motion activated flood light as well as I will be moving my dog's crate so its facing out to carport, in the hopes that the flood light turning on will wake him up. I'm also going to move my camera today where its not reachable. Anyone else have any suggestions and do you think he is casing my place?

I love how he runs into my wheelbarrow with an 80lb sack of cement in it. I'm surprised the dog didn't wake up to that. However, I think my dog is more visual in cueing his protection mode. Below is a close up photo of the guy's face. I sent the footage to a local TV station and they may interview me tomorrow. If they do, I'll post a video of the newscast.

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 5.09.45 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Kent Adams; 09-08-2015 at 5:39 PM. Reason: add photo

I would definitely say he was casing. Wearing gloves and covering his face like that makes it seem like he already knew the camera was there. Might be worth getting a copy of that video to the local PD, if he's casing your place he's probably casing others in the neighborhood too.

I agree - he approached with his face covered because he thought there was a camera, then he confirmed it. Why did he set it back to its original view?

I would do three things I Buy a gun if I didn't already have one 2 get that video to the police like others have suggested 3 i'll get the dog fitted hearing aids
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

A couple years back, my GSP that is no longer around, stopped a Burglar from breaking into the house. It was around 12:45 or 1:45 AM , and the old boy was sound asleep on the Couch. Well, I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and getting ready to go to sleep when I heard this loud , banging sound. Some jerk was trying to KICK IN MY FRONT DOOR !! That woke my Dog up and he went BALLISTIC!!! 4 TIMES, I saw that 170 year old Oak front door vibrate as it got kick after kick !!

As for my German Shorthair, he was ready to bust through the screen in the front window !!

The porch light went on, and that is when I saw the scumbag take off running.

God, I miss that Dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I agree - he approached with his face covered because he thought there was a camera, then he confirmed it. Why did he set it back to its original view?

Because he plans/planned on coming back and doesn't want the homeowner to know that anyone was there...hoping that he won't look at any video footage if he, Kent, thinks it wasn't moved.
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

That's pretty scary stuff Kent. Like others, I'd have a call into the police and have an officer stop by and file a report. If he's checking our your stuff, he's checking all everything in the area, so it's worth letting them know so they can increase the patrol in that area.

I hope they catch him quickly, it's be pretty hard to go to sleep knowing he's still out there. Might even be worth a call to a local news channel. Get that video put on the news and bring the attention to the area and he might find someone else to move on to.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have a close up screen capture of the perps face I'll post tonight. I've filed a police report (have to do it online), they may or may not contact me back. I put in the report I had video and a close up picture of the perp's face.

12 gauge full choke 00 buckshot. Pull the plug so you have at least 5 rounds in it.

Sss...........

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    Because he plans/planned on coming back and doesn't want the homeowner to know that anyone was there...hoping that he won't look at any video footage if he, Kent, thinks it wasn't moved.

Be careful. As I said, he moved the camera back so that you wouldn't think to check out the video, as most people wouldn't do if things looked normal, aka untouched.

When someone cases out an area, they'll be back "if" there's anything worth taking, hence the casing.

I won't get into extreme details, but I lived in an "interesting" area years ago. Students, yes students, would case out cars with "good" things inside. They then tell their buddies when the best time to strike is, while they are in school, and that's what they do.

Again, be careful as desperate people will do desperate things and it's not worth risking your life over...it's really not. Keep valuables out of sight or inside and let the police nab him.
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Thanks David. I'm moving my 230lb dog and his crate next to the sliding glass window facing the carport and if he wakes up, he could scare an army of people. This dog's bark is loud and very vicious sounding. He's very aggressive with strangers. His bark can be heard for about 50 yards outside the house, its really jarring.
    Last edited by Kent Adams; 09-08-2015 at 5:48 PM.

Talk to your neighbors. Get the word out to them. Chances are very high they are seeing & hearing odd things happen too but no one is telling each other.

We had a situation like that years ago and not until several people had burglaries and started talking that we discovered LOTS of neighbors were having problems but had not reported it to the police or their neighbors to keep an eye for people that seem out of place. One gal even convinced herself that the footsteps she heard outside her bedroom window while her husband was a way was all her imagination.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

My friend has a Great Dane I always wondered why most of his shirts had a tear in them,Until he let me interact with the dog bradley.Took about two seconds to tear my shirt just being playful.
    So I don't think you need a gun your dog will probably fold that guy up like a lawn chair!

Andrew, the dog is about 6'5" standing on his hind legs and as strong as an ox (I can't play 'tug of war' with him anymore as he'll rip my arm out of its socket, he's a European Great Dane which are much more muscular than American Great Danes). He's extremely aggressive with strangers and when we take him out, we have to use an e-collar, dialed up to the highest setting and on continuous just to get his attention. When he barks aggressively, its is extremely intimidating. His tail goes straight up as if he is enjoying scaring people. These dogs were bred to take down wild boars in Europe. One time I was playing with him and chasing him through the house. He rounded a corner, hit the door to the kitchen and knocked the thing clean off the hinges and the door flew through the room. I have no doubt that if he can see someone coming into the carport, he'll go berzerk. Tonight we put his crate facing out to the carport so hopefully he will see anyone approaching. Thursday, we have the electrician coming out to hook up the motion activated flood lights that should light that carport like a football stadium.
    Last edited by Kent Adams; 09-08-2015 at 7:12 PM.