Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stick with Dewalt or switch out to Ryobi

I use newer 18v lithium batteries with my old dewalt stuff. Cheapest way to buy those batteries was to get a bundled drill, charger+battery set on sale. I am not sure if dewalt still sells those old style battery sets in lithium flavor, they renamed them 20v and changed the plastic , but actual batteries are the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    MTO?? What is MTO
    That was kinda vague . . . "MTO Battery"
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm not a fan of Ryobi but the lithium batteries make the tool a lot lighter. I'd take the opportunity to find a solution that gives you lithium batteries.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    That was kinda vague . . . "MTO Battery"
    Thanks.... I did not find that while searching google...

ridgid has lifetime warranty if you register them, I have recently switched to all ridgid for that fact

I currently have a bunch of Ryobi lithium tools. They are OK, but I am trying to wear the tools out so I can switch to Milwaukee. I agree with the other folks, get some new DeWalt batteries or have your old ones rebuilt.

I have had a Ryobi 18VDC drill driver, impact driver, recip saw and circular saw set for about 10 years. The circular saw is too weak but all the other tools have worked well. Just recently, I bought a Ryobi battery powered chain saw because that set, including a lithium ion battery, was about the same price as the battery alone. It works well for cutting fire wood on camp outs. The most used tool is the impact driver. I have built several decks with it driving 3 inch deck screws all day long. I have another 18VDC drill/impact driver combination from Hitachi that is smaller, lighter and easier to use but I doubt very much it will last any longer than the Ryobi stuff.

I agree with Art on the circular saw with NiCd batteries but not with lithium ions. It will do useful work. I used mine nearly exclusively on an addition. It is a lot smaller and lighter than my old Milwaukee and had enough power for 2x4s and sheet goods. I was using the smaller batteries too - but I have three so I could swap them as required.