Thread: Roof Exhaust Question for Zing 24 30W

Roof Exhaust Question for Zing 24 30W

Hi all! First time poster, long time lurker here!

My wife and I are looking to purchase a Zing 24 30W machine to install in our 2nd bathroom, and we're hearing conflicting accounts of whether it is feasible or not. Forgive me if it has been asked a million times before, but she'll feel much more at ease with a couple more opinions on the matter.

What we're looking to do is vent up through the roof by removing our existing bathroom fan (6" can with a 3" duct), removing the existing duct from the joist space and retrofitting it with a 4" duct through the roof. The bathroom does not have a wall that is anywhere near the exterior, so this seems like it might be the only option.

Our Epilog rep and my father, a retired HVAC man, both say it will work just dandy, while several others have said no.

Anyone else out there with a similar setup?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Tracy

As long your pulling 350 - 400 CFM (taken from epilog website as recommended exhaust rate) or thereabout with your extractor system and the fumes are going from the machine through the extractor to outside and do not have any junctions to other vents in the house then I see no issue, but I'm new to this also.

What will you be cutting / engraving?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Keith - We are primarily cutting 1/8" acrylic and baltic birch, and a small amount of engraving on those same materials.

Listen to your dad. It will work fine and you are replacing the old fan with a larger inline one correct?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill - Yes sir. The existing bathroom fan came with the house when it was built in 1964. It will get pulled out completely and get replaced with a metal plate with a 4" opening that will connect to the inline blower.

Thank you very much for weighing in.

Tim

Tim, you are sure you can get a 4" pipe all the way up to the roof? If it is a "wet wall" then it will accomodate a 4' pipe but a standard 2"x4" wall won't. Best to use smooth pipe if you can. What are the spec's on the blower? If the blower is in the room, it is going to be noisy. Do you have any option to put it in the attic? That can cause some problems of it's own that need to be addressed, but the noise could be an issue for the operator if it is adjacent to the laser.

I'll state the obvious. Bathroom fans are there for a reason. Will this no longer be a bathroom?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Acrylic is pretty nasty and burnt wood isn't the greatest smell either make sure you screw all connections and then metal tape over all the connections and the cuts in the metal elbows where they adjust. You don't want that nasty smell up in your attic and leaking into your house. Also I see you mentioned in line blower. You need a real blower to do this not that in line garbage. Go for 1-2 hp, 2 hp would be preferred nothing worse that running a line and finding out the blower is not powerful enough to clear the smoke.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Tracy View Post
    Bill - Yes sir. The existing bathroom fan came with the house when it was built in 1964. It will get pulled out completely and get replaced with a metal plate with a 4" opening that will connect to the inline blower.

Thank you very much for weighing in.

Tim
    I would put your blower either by the laser or in the attic,.. No I don't think an Inline blower would be the best. Can you get in the attic, I hope so. My house attic is a bugger to get in and out of , more like a two person job. Then you have the fire hazard putting a blower and motor in the attic. It would be noisy, but I would put it behind the machine, make a sound deadening cover for it and hard pipe it all the way to the roof. Least amount of joints as possible. I can put in pressurized ductwork without leaks and I assume others can too. If not use PVC DWV pipe.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I would leave the line stock. I'd put a real dust collector in your attic and run a power line down to a switch to turn it on and off.

You should be aware, that none of this is necessarily to code and home owners insurance may take issue with what you're doing.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

First off, Thank You to everyone that has weighed in with their advice and insight. We really appreciate it.

The extra bathroom will effectively not be used as a bathroom any longer. Truth be told, it's really just the cats' bathroom.

We have no attic, but there may be room in the joist space to place the blower. If not, we will probably go the route of placing it on the ground behind the unit.

We have already run this by our insurance company, too.

Tim,
    I don't know what part of the country you're from. If it gets cold during the winter (zero or below) and you put in an
    attic vent/extractor for the machine (laser) you're doomed for failure! Condensation will form on the blades of the fan and it will shake something fierce!
    My rec's---place venting close to the laser and then exit the structure. DAMHIKT! Also you will have better exhaust removal. Bottom line here is you CANNOT EXHAUST LASER emissions with a "fart fan"!!!!!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils