Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identifying hand plane made in India

Identifying hand plane made in India

I have in my possession three hand planes, all from the same manufacturer. The man who purchased is no longer able to indicate from where they came. I have planes numbered 4, 6, and 7. The label on the No. 6 says

ITEM NO. 37016
    SMOOTHING PLANE
    SIZE : 18"/450mm
    MADE IN INDIA

The No. 7 says

ITEM NO. 37018
    SMOOTHING PLANE
    SIZE : 22"/550mm
    MADE IN INDIA

This is the box that contains the No. 6

Plane_Box.jpg

The planes are sealed in plastic and have a heavy coating of grease of some kind.

plane_sealed_in_plastic.jpg

This is what it looks like when unpacked. The Lever cap is a screw that you turn to loosen or tighten it.

plane_front_view.jpg

I unpackaged the No. 7.

Plane_07.jpg

This is how it looks without the Lever Cap.

Plane_Remove_Lever_Cap.jpg

The plane blade indicates the preferred angle.

plane_correct_angle.jpg

I have not done much to test this plane other than to feel the blade, which is mostly certainly not sharp. I have not even removed the chip breaker to look at the back of the blade. I expect that it will take a lot of work to make this usable, but, I was hoping that someone could comment on the plane. I have no idea what it is. I am hoping that I can make these usable.

I've seen similar planes made in China. They always strike me as just knock-offs. The lengths you mention seem to correlate to the appropriate Stanley/Bailey's, but neither of those lengths are traditional "smoothers".

Have you checked the sole for flatness? Maybe you can tune these more quickly than you think and put them to work. That would be cool.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good point, I need to check for flatness. I sure hope they have flat bottoms. It will be enough work flattening the back of the blades I expect. I hope to find time to tune these up this work, but I am swamped at work and I spent 6 hours sorting stuff for the family whose father / husband had purchased these before he died

Good chance it's an Award plane. We have them here in South Africa but they're not in the same league as Veritas or Lie-Nielsen.
    Last edited by Hilton Ralphs; 08-31-2015 at 2:55 AM.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Any tool that doesn't have a name, well........what's that all about?

Traditional WW'er carries a line of shoulder planes made in India named "Rider".

Doesn't "automatically" mean they are junk just depends on how much oversight re: casing and machining.

The WoodRiver planes are made in China and they are good planes.

Hilton: Do you mean "Anant"?

Some of the Indian made tools are actually quite good. Those look nicely finished, but may require some fettling, as would any non-premium level tool. What's the worst that could happen?
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Hilton: Do you mean "Anant"?
    George, I'm pretty sure it's 'Award'. I have a #4 and a 220 type Block Plane. Not the best but it was a gift. I'll check again when I pop into the local woodwork hardware shop.

The photographs that I have seen of an Award or an Anant plane has always had the name on the Lever Cap.

Most lever caps on a bench plane do not use a screw to tighten and loosen it. I have seen this on some planes, but never on a 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8. I think I have one of my scrub plane and I may have seen this on a block plane or bevel up plane.

It is very odd that there is no name anywhere on the plane, even after they took the time to indicate the preferred sharpening angle on the blade.

Soba??

This looks very similar to a Soba hand plane. Anyone ever used a Soba? Looks like they use a screw and no name on the lever plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Most lever caps on a bench plane do not use a screw to tighten and loosen it. I have seen this on some planes, but never on a 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8. I think I have one of my scrub plane and I may have seen this on a block plane or bevel up plane.
    Andrew, it's common on all Lee Valley bench planes. Lie-Nielsen has this on all of their low angle planes, which yes, are bevel up planes, but are still bench planes none the less. You also see this type of lever cap on infill planes, etc.

Mentioning Soba, which I had not heard of before - except for the noodles...., I found this blog: http://indiandiy.blogspot.com/2013/1...-in-india.html
    The fellow speaks very highly of them.
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 08-31-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    Maurice

George this is what I have. Mine is re-branded as 'Award' but it seems like it could be 'Soba' or 'Anant' or whatever the local agency decides is their 'brand'.

award.jpg

Hilton, yours could indeed be a "major award": http://youtu.be/Yzht2_41caU
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Hilton, yours could indeed be a "major award": http://youtu.be/Yzht2_41caU
    It must be Italian ... Fragile.... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    George this is what I have. Mine is re-branded as 'Award' but it seems like it could be 'Soba' or 'Anant' or whatever the local agency decides is their 'brand'.

award.jpg
    That makes a lot of sense.... and that plane looks exactly like what I have. The part numbers are even similar in form.