Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help - Buying a New Drill Press

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Grizzly 20" drill press. I'd sacrifice 1.25" of quill travel, but have a much better low-end speed for large forstner bits. 4 3/4" of quill travel would cover 95% of what I plan on using the drill press for. One of the customer service reps at Grizzly said they would measure the runout at the factory before shipment, which is at least something in terms of ensuring accuracy.

I'm going to look into the Delta 18-900, but have reservations.

Plus, the Delta 18-900 is up over a $1000, at which point I'd probably just splurge and get the new $1400 Powermatic.

yeah, personally if I was going to spend more than about $800 then I'd drop the extra $400 for the Powermatic, that thing looks really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jackson View Post
    yeah, personally if I was going to spend more than about $800 then I'd drop the extra $400 for the Powermatic, that thing looks really nice
    Yeah - - in a similar situation, me to probably. BUT - I would try to find a way to buy it from a bricks-and-mortar store with a solid history and rep. Check the runout in the store before swiping the credit card.

Plus - you have flesh-and-blood to go to if you have any problems.......... Just a bit nervous about the quality thing of the newer ChiWanEse stuff, that's all........

Or - a PM 1100/1150/1200 - for that price you can get one damn fine DP from the mid 70's - mid 80's. The golden age of USA-built PM stuff.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

"I was just going to post that. I picked one up a month or two ago for $1500 Not..."
    But can you easily drill a through hole on your mill?

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    "I was just going to post that. I picked one up a month or two ago for $1500 Not..."
    But can you easily drill a through hole on your mill?
    You can easily add a secondary table just as many do on a drill press so the short answer is yes. Another feature of a Bridgeport is power feed on the quill as I recall. It's been a few years. Plus the head can be moved forward and back for special projects as well as greatly increasing the potential throat depth. Also the head can be swung around on it's base. Also the head can be angled both forward and back and rotated to the right or left. So the Bridgeport can be a very versatile tool. Not for everyone but if you stumble into one for $1500 then grab it. Even a very experienced one is better than most drill presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jackson View Post
    The PM gets mixed reviews also.

Wow! Four pages of replies no one suggested Shopsmith!

I just checked one of mine and the spindle travel is only four and half inches, so if 6 inches is an absolute requirement a shopsmith would not work.

A decently functioning shopsmith can be found on craigslist for under $200 if you wait and watch.

Shopsmiths can can be used for both vertical AND horizontal boring. They are not for metal but excell with wood.

HP is either 3/4 or 1.25 HP depending on vintage. Variable speed reduction is mechanical in all but the latest model.

I could go go on and on...I do have a 20" drill press for metal, but the Shopsmith is my choice for wood.

At under $200 a used Shopsmith is almost free (compared to some of the options cited above). Don't laugh off this suggestion until you have tried one.

I really do do love my Shopsmiths for drilling and horizontal boring of wood! ( I would not consider one at the price they sell for new though, but for $100 to 200 they are a no brainier in my book)

PS... The ones I paid $200 for included bandsaws...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Does anyone recognize this model? Current rage level is pretty high at all new offerings in this area, so trying to wade my way through the used listings.

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/tls/5200692463.html

Also, I guess I should look into a 3phase to 1phase converter as a lot of the old powermatics for sale seem to be 3 phase.

Lastly, any and all suggestions for locations, websites, etc to buy used/refurbished/rebuild DPs would be greatly appreciated.

Or this listing? http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/5119716680.html

I'm out of my depth here, but a cheap used machine, with precision above and beyond any new offerings would be amazing.

I'd call the guy with the Atlas as fast as you can. That's a great looking machine!

I have a few old American made drill presses. They are great!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

+1 on jumping on the atlas.

5" stroke, American made, looks to be in great shape and $275 seems dirt cheap to me. Unless there is something major wrong with it that looks great.

I also have the Delta 18-900L. I've had it for a couple of years and use it regularly. I initially set it up with care and waxed everything with Johnson's paste wax. It's never rusted and I've never had a problem with it. It's got a solid 3/4 hp motor that runs cool. It has a large woodworker's table and a nice fence available. I really like it and I expect it to be around for a very long time (like those 1940 drill presses). It's a great drill press. People are very easy to spend your $400 on a PM. I certainly don't see any advantages in getting involved with variable speed complexities, it's just something that will wear out before its time.

No truth to any rumors that 'Delta Machinery going out of business'. Easy enough, search Google with my quoted phrase.
    Think Mark Twain, some troll is just trying to win...

Last edited by Joe Presley; 09-06-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Presley View Post

No truth to any rumors that 'Delta Machinery going out of business'. Easy enough, search Google with my quoted phrase.
    Think Mark Twain, some troll is just trying to win...
    The 18-900 is part of the limited offerings from the new Delta badge, "Delta PEC" and are being supported by them. I hope the 18-900 remains as it is still my current choice for a new DP. I wish Delta PEC the best but, need to wait a bit longer to be sure they stabilize; that's just me . Parts and service for my existing Delta machines are non-existent as is true for the bulk of the old Delta catalog ;-( Delta has gone through many changes over the years. I think it was the fairly recent vanishing of parts and service that gave them the big black eye. I'd love to see them fight their way back.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Akerblom View Post
    Plus, the Delta 18-900 is up over a $1000, at which point I'd probably just splurge and get the new $1400 Powermatic.
    both crapola