Thread: Anyone ever turned Verawood?

Anyone ever turned Verawood?

There is some Verawood turning blanks available not far from where I live at a good price and I'm thinking of going to buy some. Read up on it and it is supposed to be very dense and oily somewhat like Lignum Vitae. I've read that it is hard to work with but is supposed to be excellent for turning. I'm guessing because of it being oily you would not finish with WOP or varnish...maybe Tung Oil?..or something like that. I would just like to know if anyone that has turned it would you recommend it or is it trouble. The color is supposed to be quite nice after exposed to air turning shades of green and turquois .....thanks

Bulnesia spp. aka Argentine Lignum vitae (not related to real lignum vitae) - kiln dried turns very nice, wet should be even better. Wood is green/yellow/brown with tight interlocking grain - darkens a bit with exposure. Has a strong unique spicy odor.
    Last edited by Bruce Pratt; 08-28-2015 at 4:12 PM. Reason: additional info

With oily woods I like to finish just by polishing. Maybe carnuba wax when dry.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Yeah the green mallet and "wand" in this picture are vera. It turns nicely.

~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

This little frog I carved is vera too fwiw:

~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

It does get really pretty and polished too if you like. The green pull below is vera. I didn't end up using it for this, but it's the best pic I have right now:

Very hard very dense but cuts cleanly. I'd say it's more waxy than oily. The wax is hard and you may have to stop and scrape it off your tools. Similar to Lignum V. Takes a mirror finish right off the tool. I finish with oil. The wood is green to brown but a polishing cloth with oil will turn blue.

Thanks for the input guy's...it's been very helpful..

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    I have turned Vera and Lignum V; when asked, I tell people '' it is like turning frozen lard '' - not sounding glamorous at all, but it takes a polish right off the tool. I buff it up in high speed and it comes out nice.
    Sorry, no pics; I have given away most of the few things I turned - sadly, Verawood is no longer able to be imported into Canada last time I heard. It is beautiful though with the green(s) and brown swirls, as well as the interlocking grain and lovely scent.
    Good luck!!

This work isn't mine and I'm not sure where I found the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images