Thread: finish to use on wooden counter top that will get beat up.

finish to use on wooden counter top that will get beat up.

Hi all
    I have job opportunityon making wooden counter tops for a lab that study's rocks so the counter topswill be getting some abuse. Not sure what finish would be ideal. I haveused waterlox in past but not sure if that is best choice. Also thinking about using Behlen Rockhard™ Table Top Varnish. Counter topwill be 1.25" thick face glued oak. A better choice out their??

No finish will stand up to rocks being dropped and slid over it. If the lab plans to work the way you describe I would just put a mineral oil/paraffin mixture on them, and give the lab a good supply of it to reapply occasionally as they get beaten up, as one would with a cutting board. IMHO, maple would be a better choice of wood than oak. Oak chips out pretty easily on the edge when whacked.

John

I'd agree with John. I wouldn't use a film-forming finish, I'd use oil and wax.

An epoxy will give a protective surface, but sooner or later it'll get torn up and look like crap. As will anything similar.

The cutting board analogy is a good one. Oil it, maybe wax it and be done with it.

Stainless Steel.

Replaceable Masonite.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.