Thread: Experiences with Jet Planers or Jointers?

Experiences with Jet Planers or Jointers?

Jet represents one of my economy options (as opposed to Delta & General) in Canada, and I was wondering if anyone has firsthand experience with the company's jointers or planers. I know a lot of other mid-market brands like Yorkcraft and Grizzly are making jointers that give the big boys a serious run for their money. I'm just curious if Jet's 8" jointer is in the same boat, and how their planers (particularly their 15" & 20" models) perform.

Thanks,

Aaron

My previous jointer was a Jet 6" closed stand unit...excellent tool. Their 8" model is also very nice. But jointers are pretty basic tools mechanically, so you can leverage that to keep cost low and size high...bigger is better, IMHO, 'cause flat and true lumber makes for great joinery in projects.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the 15" and it really is great! It does a very smooth job and will pull big boards no problem. You will need a good dust collecter.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    My previous jointer was a Jet 6" closed stand unit...excellent tool. Their 8" model is also very nice. But jointers are pretty basic tools mechanically, so you can leverage that to keep cost low and size high...bigger is better, IMHO, 'cause flat and true lumber makes for great joinery in projects.
    What is your new jointer? Did you replace your 6" because you needed the expanded capacity of an 8"?

I had a 20" grizzly and ran thousands of feet through it. similar IMHO to the jet 20" machine. worked great. sold it to a friend who is now running lots of wood through it.

lou

Aaron

I had a 6" Jet jointer and a 15" Jet planer. They were both very good tools. The planer had a bit of snipe (less than 1/4" and only a couple thous').

I would recommend both.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

I had the 15" Planer for a number of years, with nary a complaint. It did everything I asked with good results. Like Mark says, Good dust collection is a must, unless you like to be knee deep in chips and shavings, wearing a respirator and goggles! Suffice it to say, it was not matched well to my 1HP double bagger. It was gone by the time I got my cyclone, but I'm sure that would have made a world of difference.

I had the Jet 6" closed stand jointer also, it was completely functional and the fit and finish were very nice.

Aaron. I have the Jet 6" jointer, and the 15" planer. Both are nice quality units, and were ready to go out of the box, so to speak.
    The 6" jointer is too small for my needs, and most of the previous posts by other members state that "I used to have" . It's a good machine, but I think that any 6' jointer will be too small. The 15" planer is a rugged little beast, at 500+ lbs. It should do just about anything the home hobbiest needs.
    Jet technical support, and parts have been excellent also. I own a number of Jet machines, TS,planer,jointer,2 Dc's,Drillpress.

I posted a review a few months ago on the Jet 13" planer/molder, you should be able to search and find my full review. In short it is fine, with a few things I'm not crazy about, but most of those things don't apply to the 15".

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mills
    What is your new jointer? Did you replace your 6" because you needed the expanded capacity of an 8"?
    I have a Mini Max FS350 14" jointer/planer combo in the shop now. I prefer a jointer that is as wide as my planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Perata
    Aaron

I had a 6" Jet jointer and a 15" Jet planer. They were both very good tools. The planer had a bit of snipe (less than 1/4" and only a couple thous').

I would recommend both.
    I had both of Michael's Jet machines. They are both good although I found the size of the 6 inch jointer too small for a lot of my work and also discovered the ease and joy of jointing via hand planes. I still have the thickness planer and that is probably the last stationary machine I would give up. I could live without the table saw or the bandsaw....but the thickness planer is a really good machine to have.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

That looks very nice! Maybe someday???
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I have a Mini Max FS350 14" jointer/planer combo in the shop now. I prefer a jointer that is as wide as my planer.

"All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    That looks very nice! Maybe someday???
    Oh, I think that the stars are in alignment such that you may have one fall in your lap sooner rather than later...