Thread: 2 Step Drill Bit

2 Step Drill Bit

Anyone know where I can get a two step drill bit? I need it for some game calls I am making. It should be a 31/64 and 41/64 or 3/4. I can't find where anyone makes these. There are tons of step bits, but nothing that I can use.
    If I can't get one anyone had luck making their own?
    Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    You might be able to grind down a 3/4" spade bit to make two steps.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you're looking for a twist type step drill this company will make what ever size you need. I used them a few time back in my shop days. They do nice work, but not cheap IIRC.
    http://products.protocutter.com/prod...om-step-drills
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Izzy Swan has a video on youtube where he grinds his own.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Is there some reason you can't use two drills? First drill the smaller diameter, and then go back with the larger.

Look at it as "drilling a counter-bore" for plugging a hole in furniture or something
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

Dreamer Tool

http://www.dreamertool.com/

Used to use in a production environment. Also probably not cheap.

Don

WL Fuller in Rhode Island.
    Their only products are drill and mill bits. They have a good selection of two step drills, and if they don't have it, they'll make it.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-21-2015 at 5:18 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Just do a search on "Custom Step Drill", and you'll get dozens of guys that do it. They'll all be a little costly, especially at 3/4", but I've had custom tools made and it only hurts for a few minutes. When you're using the tool and it's doing a beautiful job, it seems worth it.

Reliable in San Bernardino was a great supplier of bits for Confirmats and Kreg bits, if they are still around. Any industrial saw shop that does Confimat bits can do it as well.