Thread: Three table saws! Am I nuts?

Three table saws! Am I nuts?

I recently acquired some machines and sold some machines and I'm re-organizing my shop. I have a large area in an old barn, but it is interrupted by a couple posts. The machine area is roughly 35' x 35'. In addition to the saws described below, I have a couple band saws, a couple jointers (including a 16"), belt/disc sander. Smaller stuff is in another room.

I am visualizing my dream table saw cluster. I have all the machines. No, I'm not wealthy- I just stumble into fantastic deals on machines (google "law of attraction")

1. SCMI sliding table saw - 4' travel on the slider, 16" blade, long fence rails, riving knife, optional scoring blade
    - this saw is set up and running and is the size of a football field

2. SawStop industrial cabinet saw (the original model)
    - I have the long fence rails

3. Powermatic 66 - long rails for original powermatic fence, 2 extra wide cast iron wings
    - this saw needs some restoration and TLC (cleanup, paint, bearings), but it is basically sound

I have in mind a number of projects involving sheet goods but I want to make a wide variety of things. Obviously the SCMI is the sheet goods machine. My thinking is that I'll have the SawStop facing it with a shop built table between the 2 machines to act as outfeed.

I'm considering setting up the PM66 as a thrid machine- likely dedicated to dado work. I plan to make guitar amps and speaker cabinets and plan on a lot of finger joints. It would be really cool to have a machine dedicated to that. I'm trying to determine an optimal location for the PM66. I'm thinking that I'll mostly be doing short stuff and won't need a long outfeed. I may even not put on both wings, and go for a shorter PM fence rail. Dunno.

Just thinking out loud here- looking for opinions, ideas for configuring multiple machines like this.
    Cheers-
    Lynn Kasdorf

Lynn

I have two of them, definitely not as nice as your saws, and could use a third if opportunity presents. My saws act as out feed and stabilization for each other. Very stable and cheaper than making an out feed table.
    It's amazing just how cheap you can find machinery.
    I don't think you're nuts at all. Just being practical.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I'm going for 3 saws in my new shop.... I have a 10' beismeyer fence, and I'm thinking I'll place my rip saw (PM 70) on the far left with the crosscut(PM 66) just to the right of it( still working on how to use two different tapes on the bar) and then have my third for dados in the out feed side. I run a cabinet shop and hate changing blades or using a combo blade so I'm hoping to replace it all with a slider one of these days when I strike gold
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Lynn, if I could answer the question you posed in the title of your thread, I'd say "Yes, you are nuts." But that doesn't make you abnormal or unusual, at least here.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Nothing wrong with having 3 tablesaw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Nothing wrong with having 3 tablesaw
    Very sweet setup! This gives me some ideas... thanks

Sounds about right to me.

Not crazy at all. The table saw with dedicated dado is a time saver.

Lornie

I have three. But then...... People do say I am crazy, so I guess I am not much help?

I actually have 5 serious table saws, and a couple smaller ones, but I'm selling off some.