Thread: EM6500 finishing problem - any advise?

EM6500 finishing problem - any advise?

I have been spraying some projects over the last couple of years without good results but really ran into a problem today that puzzles me. I am spraying some bed parts with EM6500 in white, using my Earlex 5500. I needed to thin about 10% with water to get it to spray nicely and have done so in the past. But today I get some paint pieces/splatters that start after I have sprayed a couple of parts and then build up and get stronger (see pics -- I put a flashlight close to get some glancing light).

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

At first I thought I had some contamination in the paint so I strained it again, cleaned the gun and started over. Same result. Did it all over using a really fine coffee filter, same result. Cleaned everything and started over with fresh paint, strained it, thinned it and got started. First board fine, then again the same contamination. I am spraying in the open garage with a self made spray booth, and it is warm today (82) and a little humid but nothing unusual for Missouri (I had the same conditions last weekend without running into the same problems). What should I check, any advice?

Check the packing on the spray gun. It looks like you're spitting. Make sure that the nut hasn't come loose, and make sure that it's oiled and sealing properly.

I agree with John...check the gun carefully, especially given this is a "new" issue.

I've never, ever had to thin any of the Target Coatings products I've been using for years. Perhaps the gun setup needs changed for that, too. The correct needle set needs to be used for a given finish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks a lot, John and Jim! The nut for the packing was so loose that I could unscrew it with my fingertips. I think that is the root cause. I carefully tightened it and look forward to try it out next weekend. I let you know the result. (And I will try the EM6500 without thinning again).