Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your diy cooling setup?

Your diy cooling setup?

I got an old fridge. Drilled two holes on the side for input and out put. Also put a heater core on the outside off the fridge to also help release heat.

1. Old Mini Fridge. Free
    2. $6.00 plastic trash can to put inside of fridge.
    3. $28 heater core from oreily auto.
    4. Extra tubbing and barbs $ 15
    5. $2.00 thermometer dropped in water.
    6. $7.00 plug in fan to aim at heater core.

Previous setup. Office water cooler. Worked well for 2 years, but finally died.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Its all about BTU's, I suspect your water cooler compressor unit ran all the time. If you had a big ole side by side refrigerator freezer it might even have a 1/3 instead of the standard 1/4 Hp compressor.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Clark some pictures would be nice for us cooler dummies LOL also what does your water temp stay at?

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    I got an old fridge. Drilled two holes on the side for input and out put. Also put a heater core on the outside off the fridge to also help release heat.

1. Old Mini Fridge. Free
    2. $6.00 plastic trash can to put inside of fridge.
    3. $28 heater core from oreily auto.
    4. Extra tubbing and barbs $ 15
    5. $2.00 thermometer dropped in water.
    6. $7.00 plug in fan to aim at heater core.

Previous setup. Office water cooler. Worked well for 2 years, but finally died.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

That's not going to have enough cooling capacity for even a 40w setup unless you're doing say 50% duty cycles.

I use a 1/6HP aquarium chiller I got from Craigslist for $100. I can hold 74F through almost continuous operation, usually stopping for 5-10 minutes once an hour or so to swap out material.

74 is really on the high side for good cutting and engraving , I like to keep my water 65 to 68 if it gets to 72 I add more e ice

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Elmore View Post
    That's not going to have enough cooling capacity for even a 40w setup unless you're doing say 50% duty cycles.

I use a 1/6HP aquarium chiller I got from Craigslist for $100. I can hold 74F through almost continuous operation, usually stopping for 5-10 minutes once an hour or so to swap out material.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Wow you got a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    74 is really on the high side for good cutting and engraving , I like to keep my water 65 to 68 if it gets to 72 I add more e ice
    They are expensive. My water gets luke warm after a several hours. My battery on the thermostat is low so I can't give you temps. I need to replace it.

It works at least as good as the China chiller 3000. We had one of those at a previous job I worked at, and that kept temps at around 31C. I'll get a battery and let you know about my little setup. I only have 50watt machine though.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

I did not order Cw3000 chillers for my 4 new 400x 600 60w (weegiant tubes?) lasers
    a 25 litre drum with the cheap submersible pump works .. takes ages to even warm the water a few degrees
    the cw3000 is just that , a tank with a submersible , all it has "extra" is a cheap computer fan blowing on the water.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Rodne: What is the temperature range?

it varies from 20-25 C *not sure exactly what that is in F* , but its not high summer yet.. but even in mid summer it should still be ok.. my machines are working around 7 hrs a day .. varied applications , including a lot of thick acrylic cutting
    I run both my shenhui 80w machines on a single cw5000 winter or summer.. and it can get quite hot here in afrika
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Thanks Rodne -- good info.

What's your opinion on something like this?

http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0048IVBT4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2CXIDX PR1SRQR

EDIT: Here's the correct model (2300 BTU)

http://hydrofarm.com/p/AACH25
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 08-19-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Thanks Rodne -- good info.

What's your opinion on something like this?

http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0048IVBT4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2CXIDX PR1SRQR

EDIT: Here's the correct model (2300 BTU)

http://hydrofarm.com/p/AACH25
    The 1/4HP will be enough. The 1/10HP will not.

Some things that should probably also be discussed in regards to chillers (DIY or otherwise) is ambient temp of your space, tube size, percentage of power used, and daily use. Some alternative cooling solutions will work fine for hobbyists, but not for manufacturing. Of course, something like a CW5000 might be overkill for an occasional tinkerer in a mild climate.

I received a free CW3000 chiller that I goofed around with adding an additional 5 gallon reservoir with ice packs. The pump bogged down trying to move that much water and created a lot of bubbles. With just the CW3000, my working temps were 25-35 degrees on a 80 W tube in a very hot space.

BTW Rodne, I checked the average monthly temperatures for Cape Town, since you mentioned that it gets quite hot. That looks like paradise to those that live in Texas during August. Be sure to bundle up this summer.

hehehehe....Im off to ireland in december..I shall pack my bermudas and string vests..

Texas weather gets such a bad rap! We have true 4-season climate: early summer, mid-summer, late summer, and that cold day.

Matt, have you heard what the designated cold day is for 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Texas weather gets such a bad rap! We have true 4-season climate: early summer, mid-summer, late summer, and that cold day.

Matt, have you heard what the designated cold day is for 2016?
    Malcolm: I'll have to check the Farmer's Almanac. However, I think today is this year's designated day. We'll have to cook on the grill, instead of the patio this evening as the cold-front moves in.