Thread: Dust collector, will this reduce noise inside?

Dust collector, will this reduce noise inside?

20150815_131640.jpg

leftside is inside garage right side is outside. vac port through wall to onieda super deputy, to 2hp vac blower back through wall to .5 micron hepa and bag.

The whole point is to reduce noise, increase life of filter, while not losing conditioned air.

Although I'm tempted to scrap the idea and put the whole thing outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I should add that my garage is 6000 cubic feet @ 1500cfm I would empty the a/c conditioned air every 4 minutes. If I just put the unit outside.

Is the Oneida unit built to be put outside in the weather? Don't think so. You would probably have to build a shelter for it.

Of course it would lower the low frequency noise, to some extent. - But assuming you have no issues with rain, the other big hurdle is making sure the blower is not mechanically coupled to the wall. If it is, then you're building a giant subwoofer, and you probably won't like the music.

You'd have to use some kind of resilient mounting system.

And then you'll still have most of the HF noise coming back in from the blower.

I suggest that you consider building a "sound proof" closet for it instead, on the inside. Use MDF, and create a baffle system for both the input & output (Like a large automobile muffler) Use mineral wool bats to line those mufflers, and the mid -high frequencies will be attenuated significantly.

I would agree with Allan, build an enclosure for it inside your shop. Also when you build it be sure to connect the hoses to the correct ports on the cyclone, it looks like you had it drawn the right way initially and then erased it

Oneida sells a muffler for the inside of the air filter (HEPA) that will lower the decibels by 3-6. I'm assuming that is where a portion of the sound would be coming from. I know people tend to enclose there units as well. I didn't see where your from but if your in the North that's going to suck the heat outdoors - not sure how much you would loose.