Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craigslist adventures

Nice score on the lumber.
    Were you checking a number of the craigslist sections, or how did you happen to stumble across that?

I've got standing RSS searches for a couple of items to help sift through the dross, but the people who check constantly have an edge. And those who have pickup/trailer/hoist with them at all times...

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Nice score on the lumber.
    Were you checking a number of the craigslist sections, or how did you happen to stumble across that?
    I generally use an app on my phone, but picked that up before I had a smartphone. For lumber I search under 'materials'.

Hampton Roads, Virginia is large enough that there are good finds on CL...along with all the Harbor Freight junk. They usually go quick, so you have to be a pretty regular browser to keep up. I originally outfitted my whole shop off CL. Craftsman cast iron table saw with mobile stand and 2 dado blades - $125. Jet 14" 1HP closed cabinet band saw with mobile stand- $200, Rigid 13" planer with stand- $100, Old iron Craftsman 6" joiner - $20, Brand new 16" Crafsman vs scroll saw - $100, Porter Cable 24" Omni-Jig - $300 (new in box), and a myriad of other smaller stuff. Was 10 minutes too late for a Powermatic 3520 Lathe - $1200(kicked myself for a long time over that one).

Used the table saw and scroll saw for about 8 years and just upgraded to a nice 3HP Steel city cabinet saw(New) and a Type 1 Dewalt 788 20" scroll saw with stand - $175 from a friend.

All my CL finds have paid for themselves and their replacement upgrades.

I use an app with several craigslist searches saved, I use it to check areas within 150 miles of me. Also, when I travel someplace for a weekend I will look at listings in that area to see if there is anything I want.

Performax drum sander, stand, paper, and extension tables = $550
    Furnace fan for shop air cleaner = $20 (maybe could have gotten for free if I checked around, whatever).
    Powermatic 719A (technically used but more like New Old Stock condition) = $600
    Manfrotto Tripod and 410 head ($400 retail) = $125
    Pocket Wizards ($150ea retail) = $75ea
    Canon 70-200 2.8L ($1799 new) = $1200

Loads of other stuff I cannot recall.
    Ebay served me well, Sawstop Industrial 3hp, 52" table, mobile base (retail $4298) = $2750 on Ebay.

I've been in the market for a Festool domino for some time now. Recently I found one, along with other Festool products, on CL! basically its a Domino DF 500, Rotex 150 sander, and a
    Ct33 dust extractor. All for $900 what do you guys think?

I bought all the main tools in my shop used off craigslist, I have over the years watched for deals on the particular items I needed to upgrade worst, most recently I bought a unisaw for 350$ I was pretty happy with that.

I've gotten almost everything in my shop off of Craigslist. Grizzly 3HP Cabinet Saw = $300 : Grizzly 3HP Shaper = $250 : Grizzly Lunchbox Planer (almost brand new) = $50 : Delta 13" 2HP Planer (beautiful shape) = $150 : Delta DJ15 Jointer (beautiful shape) = $175. Many many more machines and tools at great prices. Yup......I'm a big big fan of Craigslist!

Every tool that n my shop came off of CL except my Jet dust collector which I bought new. Powermatic 66, Jet 15" planer, Delta 14" BS and DJ-20, Powermatic mortiser and a Yates American J-170 lathe. Had to make long drives for most of it and searched for months for some of it. Two years for the DJ-20. Six months for the lathe.