Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Windows 10

Has anyone downloaded Windows 10 and if so do you need to interact with it during install/download. I am thinking of downloading it but am on a limited down load data usage so I was thinking of downloading after 12:00 AM in the morning.

There are a couple of other threads on Win10 active right now that might answer your questions.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 08-06-2015 at 9:24 AM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I know there is a thread but it did not answer my question.

No interaction during the download. There are some questions during the setup. I was able to do it so it is easy. Good luck. I like windows 10 so far.

Red
    RED

I've done it 4 times now--3 8.1 to 10 and 1 7 to 10--and its pretty painless. A couple questions up front, then it downloads and reboots as needed. Once done it asks some configuration questions around privacy vs. functionality mostly (for Cortana and some of the other features to work, you must share data with Microsoft since the functionality is cloud-based.) Mine all went very fast, less than an hour, but I have 105MB internet.

I installed it yesterday. A little confusing at the beginning - screen went blank
    Where are the favorites, menu bar, how to get Google bar ?
    how to make Yahoo my default?

.... joe

Quote Originally Posted by joe aiello View Post
    I installed it yesterday. A little confusing at the beginning - screen went blank
    Where are the favorites, menu bar, how to get Google bar ?
    how to make Yahoo my default?

.... joe
    I you want Yahoo to be your default you do need help. Seriously, all my favorites stayed right with Firefox where they were left before I upgraded. I had a seamless update. I have tried Edge but the jury is still out.

I downloaded the ISO last night to repair my daughter's PC...it took about five minutes on my FiOS 75/75 connection.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I downloaded the ISO last night to repair my daughter's PC...it took about five minutes on my FiOS 75/75 connection.
    Is the ISO tied to the individual PC that windows was originally installed on? I would like to do this to so that I can decide when to install.

I've upgraded two computers. On one of them, the upgrade wouldn't start from the normal download and I had to contact MS through chat. They did another download and that one installed just fine.

So far, I like the operating system. They carried over a bit of the Metro interface - I guess they just couldn't completely do away with it - but it's not too much.

They hid a few things, like the control panel and the run command but you can find them if you know where to look.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    Is the ISO tied to the individual PC that windows was originally installed on? I would like to do this to so that I can decide when to install.
    Good question! Was wondering the same thing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post

No, it's not tied to any PC. But, it must be the same version as the version your upgrading.

If you burn an iso of Windows 10 Home, it can only upgrade Windows 7 Home and Windows 8.1 Home.

If you burn an iso of Windows 10 Pro, it can only upgrade Windows 7 Pro or 8.1 Pro.

Just make sure you download the version that matches your current system.
    If you need to upgrade different versions, than you'll need different iso's.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Thanks Gerry! That answer everything for me!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!