Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going to Vancouver... any woodworking 'must see's?'

going to Vancouver... any woodworking 'must see's?'

Hi folks, I'll be spending a couple days in Vancouver, BC in the near future. Was wondering if there's anything woodworking-related I should seek out while I'm there. Won't have a ton of spare time, but if there's some place really worth seeing/shopping at, would appreciate a head's up.

Best,
    John
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

It's not woodworking related, but I wouldn't miss Butchart Gardens.

That's Victoria. And if you're going there, I'd recommend checking out Brasserie L'ecole, too

There are some Lee Valley stores in the area, but never made our itinerary.
    Look for Chris Wong's blog (Flair Woodworks). He should have some suggestions.

Matt

We will be in Vancouver proper... looks like there's a Lee Valley 25 minutes from our hotel. They've gotten a lot of my money over the years, but not sure it's worth a big trip to visit them in person.
    Soli Deo Gloria.
    Chief Sawdust Maker, LoneStar Artisans
    Chief Sawdust Maker, The BoardSMITH
    Secretary, North Texas Woodworkers Association

Lee Valley Veritas! There is a huge Grizzly store down the road about an hour in Bellingham, Wa. Vancouver Island is really nice (high tea). Whistler Mountain ski area is great in the summer, people use the lifts to take their mountain bikes up and ride down (great spectator sport viewed from one of the outdoor bars). Vancouver has a number of great restaurants.

Plus 1 on Butchart Gardens. Also Cricket Matches in the park (really pretty boring but everyone should experience a match at least once).

Hey John ..

Sounds like you will be downtown. Lee Valley for sure. There's a Felder store in Burnaby called Clermont Ultimate tools. Canadian Woodworking has a store nearby as well.. There is also a new SCM distributor called Woodworking Machinery Services in Burnaby as well.

Downtown Vancouver is a pretty amazing city. Robson Street between Denman and Granville is very nice, easy walking, lots of people. Gastown during the day is also very nice. The Downtown East side is a no-go at night .. Basically W Hastings = good .. when it turns into E Hastings.. it goes down hill fast. Stanley Park is beautiful and welcoming. Any questions about the area, feel free.

Go to the Capilano suspension bridge in north Vancouver. Very cool. It's only about 5 minutes from Stanley Park.

Try to avoid crossing the bridge to north vancouver during rush hour, though.
    Gerry

JointCAM

If you're able to play tourist, I would also recommend the Capilano suspension bridge and/or Stanley Park, which you'll pass by on your way. Granville Island has a nice market where you can shop around or grab a bite, and if you take the water taxi over from the other side of False Creek (which may be within walking distance of where you're staying) you'll be able to get a more intimate view of the area.

Sounds like you won't get to Vancouver Island. If you do, there is a museum in Victoria with a lot of native sculpture and carving. (Totem poles, etc.) I'm real fuzzy on the details, but remember the little kid me was very impressed, eh... decades ago. Also, already mentioned & on the island, the gardens are spectacular. (Those are a clearer memory, saw those only ~25 years ago with my wife. :-) )

The Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden in the Chinatown area is pretty cool!

Another vote for Stanley Park, the Gardens and the bridge! That bridge is something to see. It must have wood and woodworking in it somewhere.... I recall some fabulous gazebos in Buchard. Not the attration per se, but something to sit and rest in.

Definitely go to Granville Island (you do drive there). It has great markets, shops and restaurants. There are a couple of interesting wood working shops open to the public, and there is a very interesting native carving shop (totem poles). It isn't always open but you can still see the work going on through the fence. If gardens are your thing, Van Dusen Garden in Vancouver is way cooler than Butchart. It is a multi acre mixed perrennials, forest, Asian and others in the heart of the city. Looking for something a bit wilder, the UBC Arboretum is pretty amazing. If you get down to Bellingham (where I live) the guys at Grizzly are very friendly. There is also a very funky hardwood shop called Hardwoods to Get on E Street. Obie, the gentleman who runs the place (I've known him for decades) is a neat guy. Has two sons who played in the NFL. Prices are always better than any where else. If you are in to Shakespeare, check out Bard on the Beach in Vancouver. Plays are done in large tents with different themes than you might imagine. Get Wine at intermission or before the play starts. Take a picnic or buy eats there.
    Last edited by David Helm; 07-28-2015 at 5:55 PM. Reason: added info
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    If you are in to Shakespeare, check out Bard on the Bay in Vancouver.
    All good advice, one small correction it's Bard on the Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    All good advice, one small correction it's Bard on the Beach.
    You're right Doug. Been there quite a few times. Don"t know why I got the name wrong.May be old age sneaking up.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

another + on Butchart but if you are into gardens, I'd also recommend Van Dusen in Vancouver - it is a little bit south of the downtown area. There is public bus service almost to the door if you don't want to drive.

cheers,

Mitchell