Thread: Best product for extension/infeed/outfeed table surfaces?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Best product for extension/infeed/outfeed table surfaces?

Alrighty, I'm getting ready to build myself some shop accessories, starting with an extension table for the ancient unisaw I acquired with 52" rails, but no extension table. I've heard of folks using melamine coated MDF, which I did find a source for, ~$60/8x4x3/4 sheet, phenolic coated baltic birch, which I haven't found a source for, and some other folks recommending taking either MDF or baltic birch and using either high pressure laminate or formica and veneering it yourself. I haven't done any veneering before, so I'm a bit nervous about rolling my own, especially in the case of a sizeable surface which I want to be absolutely (thousandths hopefully) flat. What do creekers recommend? I understand that MDF does not do well with holding screws- how flat can you rely on with baltic ply?

Also- I'm in northern california, any sources on these products folks can recommend would be appreciated. The source I found for melamine-coated MDF was a local cabinet shop who said they had a supplier out of sac they could get it for me from.
    Last edited by Ross Becker; 08-02-2015 at 12:17 AM.