Thread: Looking at Makita BO6040 sander -- any owner comments?

Question Looking at Makita BO6040 sander -- any owner comments?

Looking for a little user experience on the Makita bo6040 sander/polisher. This guy. I've sipped the Green cool-aide, but the Father's Day budget isn't quite that...generous. I have not been able to lay hands on one at any local trade/ borg/ other establishment, and text and (especially) youtube reviews have been shockingly few and far inbetween. So I am left with a few questions to owners to help me make the decision to purchase the Makita BO6040 or save up for the Festool Rotex RO150:

1) I have a the Festool ETS150/5. Love it, have abrasives stocked. I have found 2 posts that indicate they'll work (only 8+1, clearly), and a coupld reviews that were not so positive/ clear. Will the 6" festool abrasives fit the hook & loop pad?

2) There may be an issue with the mode selector switch failing, repeatedly. Did this happen to your unit?

3) The dust collection port is off the to right side of the handle...does this make use/balance awkward or better? I'm happy with how my RO90 dust port works, no experience with off-center ports.

4) The RO150 has a front clip-on handle that seems as though it would be better for force application and control than a handle at 90 degrees. Is this true in your experience?

As mentioned, I have the ETS150, so this would be used only in driven mode, generally on cleaning up large/ plywood panels. I appreciate any help from those who own, or have had the chance extensively to use, the Makita unit.

Justin

A little nudge for the holiday weekend (sorry to be US-centric)...anyone?

Check out Bosch 1250. It is as close to Rotex as you can get. Not sure if abrasives fit.

had one as a polisher for years and it works well and has been reliable and strong. Still havent tried it as a sander. Ive had different handles on it, pretty sure at last a loop handle from a 9227C orbital and it fit fine. Do use it in the forced rotation mode. Should try it as a sander but have Dynabrades.

Fred,
    The Bosch 1250DEVS is on the radar; I don't know how I forgot to mention it in the post, maybe because I was able to find info/reviews. It compares favorably, and several users claim very good dust collection, and with a Bosch promotion on amazon, it's ~$200. But, it uses a 6-hole abrasive pattern, and the side handle mounts are at 110-120 degrees, which I found unusual/odd for holding. Edit: also, new pads are ~$15.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    had one as a polisher for years and it works
    That's to odd part, a fair number of reviews/videos as a polisher, but the unit is listed under woodworking tools on the Makita website. And only 1 decent video on using it as a sander...in russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    pretty sure at last a loop handle from a 9227C orbital and it fit fine.
    Thanks, Warren, that's really good to know!

FWW did reviews on these sanders a few years ago. I believe they came out Makita, Bosch, Festool. Both the Makita and the Bosch tested significantly better in wood removal than the Festool at several hundred dollars less. I went shopping for the Makita but was put off by some bad reviews on Amazon so I got the Bosch1250 DEVS. I have used it heavily for the past three (four?) years without any problems. Dust collection is excellent using Abranet and it is useable as both a rough and finish sander. It is much faster than my Fein 6" ROS but not as heavy or well-built. It's good for finishing work but certainly doesn't have the finesse of the Festools. I find that I do not use the side handle on this machine because it is really not needed. It does remove a lot of material quickly so dust collection is a must. I would buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Meyer View Post
    Fred,
    The Bosch 1250DEVS is on the radar; I don't know how I forgot to mention it in the post, maybe because I was able to find info/reviews. It compares favorably, and several users claim very good dust collection, and with a Bosch promotion on amazon, it's ~$200. But, it uses a 6-hole abrasive pattern, and the side handle mounts are at 110-120 degrees, which I found unusual/odd for holding. Edit: also, new pads are ~$15.
    Let me expand on my recommendation for this Bosch. I had one before I "upgraded" to Festool Rotex only to realize it was not that much of an upgrade. Unfortunately, by the time I realized I had already sold the Bosch and Festool was more than 30 days after the purchase, otherwise, Festool would have been going back. This Bosch is that good. Mine was made in Switzerland, not sure if they still are made there, but an excellent sander. Not sure how many discs of abrasives you have but you know they are consumables, don't let that stop you from getting this sander.

Thank you to everyone for the help and advice. I picked up the Bosch 1250DEVS. I'm off to find some durable 60/80/100 grit abrasives!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Meyer View Post
    Thank you to everyone for the help and advice. I picked up the Bosch 1250DEVS. I'm off to find some durable 60/80/100 grit abrasives!
    Congrats on your purchase. Let us know how you like it once you start using it.

I've been very happy with my Bosch 3725DVS, but after many years it just died on me yesterday.
    I just ordered a Bosch ROS65VCL...which is a kit that comes with 5" and 6" platens in a nice case. It appears that the machine will be an upgrade from my 3725, with better vibration control and a pad brake. The 6" capacity will be nice, and I will still be able to use my large stockpile of 5" disks.
    I felt that the Bosch 1250DEVS was a bit too much of a beast for my hobby woodworking. I'd still like to hear how it works for you. Is it comfortable when just using one hand?