Thread: Camphor Tree Roots

Camphor Tree Roots

We are cutting down a Camphor Tree at work because of roots invading a sewage pipe. The company doing the work does not think it is necessary to grind the stump. (But they are grinding the stump of a pine tree that is lifting a sidewalk.)

Does anyone know whether Camphor roots keep causing problems after the tree is cut down?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

No expert but I was always told "Make sure to grind the stump" on pretty much any tree. Curious to hear...

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Don't know if you should grind the stump,but if like turning bowls camphor turns nice and easy.And if your nose is stuffy while your turning it will help with that too.👍

I haven't found anything definitive. One source said you have to dig up the roots - not just cut off the tree or grind up the stump.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I always thought that camphor was a florida tree......do yall have much of it out there????????

Once you cut the tree down the roots will not continue to grow, whether you grind the stump or not. The only issue is whether the tree starts to sprout out from the trunk and roots. And even then, if you cut the sprouts down or spray them with something like Roundup to kill them, I would think the roots would not continue to grow. The tree needs leaves to capture sunlight to grow.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Grinding the stump is mainly as aesthetic procedure. It won't really affect the ability of the tree or roots to continue growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Once you cut the tree down the roots will not continue to grow, whether you grind the stump or not. The only issue is whether the tree starts to sprout out from the trunk and roots. And even then, if you cut the sprouts down or spray them with something like Roundup to kill them, I would think the roots would not continue to grow. The tree needs leaves to capture sunlight to grow.

Mike
    Pretty much sums it up mike. I'm a "tree farmer" but not familiar with Camphor. The way I keep stumps from re-sprouting is to spray a concentrated solution of Glyphosate [Roundup] on the stump ASAP after the tree is cut. It's worked with everything I've sprayed it on.