Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good low cost 2015 Laser Engraver?

China Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I was going to build my own Spring of 2014, had gathered a lot of the needed materials and started adding up the price of what I had yet to buy.... It was darn close to $3K. I started reading on this Forum and learning a lot. I decided to stop and either return or sell off what I already had purchased. Short answer, its cheaper to buy a decent Chinese machine or used ULS, Epilog or Trotec .
    e lase
    My first china laser was a cheap ebay one. At the time around $800.00. I had to tinker a bit with it, but I am glad I got it. I did little things with it, and it worked out of the box. I could not engrave very big images due to laser memory issues, but cutting was ok. I could cut 1/8 acrylic at decent speed, 3/16" if I can the beam twice.

Now for all my success I have heard people getting their china ebay lasers and having a bad experience. So it's kind of a risk. I did a few videos. Now keep in mind this is a few years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf-MY2yZZxA

Good luck.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Here is the problem Clark. I could build my own as I have retro fitted a milling machine with new controls and owned a couple other CNC machines. Perhaps you have also. I fixed my own Chinese laser and it ran pretty darn well. But not everyone has the know how to troubleshoot or fix problems. These new folks find the $500 machines and see people using them successfully not knowing the work they may need. So they purchase those machines and then have problems. No support, no local distributor or US Vender. So they come here looking for help. Some get a simple problem fixed and they are off and running, some never get the machine working, regardless of help.
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-26-2015 at 7:08 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Best advice is to save a little more money and get a decent machine, you'll never be happy with a cheap ebay money pit
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You'd be much better off getting a good, used ULS or Epilog (I'd include Trotec, but I've never seen anyone who's had one long enough to have reason to sell it off). I seem to recall someone posting a well-kept, really good condition, used Epilog TT for sale in the classified section a couple of weeks ago, asking something like $4600 for it. You could check the classified section (oh, wait, here it is: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sale-Dayton-OH about 350 miles from you... )

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    You'd be much better off getting a good, used ULS or Epilog (I'd include Trotec, but I've never seen anyone who's had one long enough to have reason to sell it off). I seem to recall someone posting a well-kept, really good condition, used Epilog TT for sale in the classified section a couple of weeks ago, asking something like $4600 for it. You could check the classified section (oh, wait, here it is: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sale-Dayton-OH about 350 miles from you... )
    LOL Glen, shameless! Seriously though Bert, Glen and the many others posting about getting a decent machine are right, best to get a decent machine vs crippling yourself from the get-go with sub-par machine. If you go used be sure to take whatever you will be working with, with you, and have the guy run it while you're there so you can make sure it will do what you want it to, and that it's in good working order.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Nothing against this group but this isn't the forum to be asking about a cheap ebay laser.
    If you're interested in doing some research I'd suggest checking out a FB group called Laser engraving and cutting. There are alot of hobby guys that tinker around with the cheaper ebay lasers in that group. (Key word TINKER)

Keep in mind EVERYTHING people have posted here is 100% correct. Ebay lasers are a PAIN to deal with. Nothing is as easy as the examples make it out to be.
    With that,I currently have the higher end ebay laser close to the SH-350. Runs about $2000 It has a decent controller running RDworks software. Over all It's been a good laser. I've spend alot more money upgrading things like the exhasut and air assist but over all it's not a bad laser. It's gotten my feet wet and I'm stocking away profits to pay for a laser upgrade in the future.
    Last edited by Jeff Body; 07-28-2015 at 1:35 AM.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

I can't believe that no one has recommended the Glowforge laser........
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Hi Bill,

You are right. I would not suggest a cheap china laser unless you like to tinker a bit. Mine worked right out of the box, but as I mentioned many did not have the good fortune I did. I also owned an sgh 350, and that is about the cheapest I would go if I was serious at all about making money. But if you are a tinker it's worth looking into, but beware.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    I can't believe that no one has recommended the Glowforge laser........

The beatings will begin at 7:00, Steve...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    The beatings will begin at 7:00, Steve...
    LOL! Too funny!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Hehehehe.......
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Hi Guys,

I am starting my own manufacturing business and I am trying to decide between a rabbit laser 60 watt or if i should look into an epilog or trotech? The one thing that is scaring me about the rabbit is the speed? i am going to be doing a lot of mass production and cutting/engraving thin wood veneer. I was wondering if you had to discuss your thoughts on this with me?

Thank you for your time!
    Chad

Hi Chad,
    You didn't say your location and the bed size your looking at.
    If your going into business your sure going to want the best you can afford. Trotec is the king of engraving speed wise and of course its the most expensive.Lately I've seen a few complaints about Trotec and that their support has been lacking lately too.Remember their based in Australia and I'm not sure what they have in the US for supplies and stuff.
    Epilog is also a good machine and very pricey also. US company with good support. Machines are pretty fast.
    Now the Rabbit is a co2 glass tube laser and requires a c5000 chiller or better is not as fast as the other 2 and is not know for its engraving but it gets the job done. The machine is built solid and has good support here in the USA and parts are in Ohio so you get them quick if you need them. Glass tubes are cheap and easy to replace compared to the air cooled tubes but they don't last as long either.
    What some do is they start their business with a cheaper Chinese laser and then as they grow they buy the better and faster machines. Also you can send each company your considering a sample file and the material you intend to use and they will run the file and send you back the finished samples with all the info on settings and speed and how long they took to run.
    I personally don't run my machine to its full potential since I use it for hobby and to make free stuff for the vets but if you want to send a file i'll run it for you and tell you how long it takes .
    If theirs anything else don't hesitate to ask .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Keller View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am starting my own manufacturing business and I am trying to decide between a rabbit laser 60 watt or if i should look into an epilog or trotech? The one thing that is scaring me about the rabbit is the speed? i am going to be doing a lot of mass production and cutting/engraving thin wood veneer. I was wondering if you had to discuss your thoughts on this with me?

Thank you for your time!
    Chad
    Chad,
    Welcome aboard,
    You are at the right forum and if you spend a few hours reading these pages you will be empowered to make a decision based on what you believe you will be doing with your new machine, or at the very least have much more focused questions.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Blog Entries
    Antonio,

Are you looking at using this for a business or fun? If for a business how about holding off on a purchase while you save your $$ for at least a decent imported Chinese machine, or a Rabbit USA or Boss above that in price. And in the meantime either farm your laser work out or rent time on a laser in a maker shop of some sort. Many mid sized towns have them now, especially if there is a college or university nearby. Their rates are pretty reasonable, especially if you join the shop as a member. A last thought....got any friends also interested in a laser for business or fun? If yes, perhaps you can share the cost of a unit with them. Obviously this could be touchy and might ruin a friendship if you aren't careful about how you do it. But that might be another way to get this going. Or perhaps a loan?

Just brainstorming

Main
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.