Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Jointer Planer - JJP 12HH

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Oooh, thanks for this. I did not consider the ease of alignment. This machine got high marks from FWW for quick switchover.

I'm tempted to step up to the Hammer A3-31...
    C'mon, we all know this is what will happen. Just do it.

I have had mine since last September. I will admit that it took longer than I expected to get the tables dialed in, but the results were well worth the effort. It has stayed in adjustment despite frequent changeover. The changover is fast and easy. Yes, i would like to have the Hammer, but with the insert head, you are looking at double the price. No regrets.

Actually, the A3-31 Hammer is $3850 right now WITH the spiral cutter head if you pick it up; the JJP12-HH is $3400, so they're in shooting range of each other.

I've read some reports of out-of-flat tables on the Hammer, though.

Prashun,

I've got the Hammer and like it a lot. It's built like a tank. There are a couple of additions to plan on, if not right away, then down the line.

I think the digital gauge is a definite. If you want it mobile and don't need to go through doors, the mobile kit is another one. I first put mine on a regular mobile base but trying to push it around without dragging by the tables was a problem. The Hammer mobile base works much better. Only caveat is that you are moving the machine along it's wide dimension, not the narrow one.

If you want to keep the purchase price as low as possible these can be added later. There doesn't seem to be any price advantage buying accessories with the machine.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Actually, the A3-31 Hammer is $3850 right now WITH the spiral cutter head if you pick it up; the JJP12-HH is $3400, so they're in shooting range of each other.

My original Jet tables weren't flat either. They had to send me a new machine.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 07-23-2015 at 11:22 PM.

At that price difference Hammer is a clear winner IMO.

Check Jet's web site. I did just now and they're doing a "price too low to advertise click here" thing. When I clicked there it came up $2860. I presume 15% would come off that but I'm not certain. If the Jet were $3400 and the Hammer were $3800 it'd be a no brainer. If it really is $2860-15%($429)=$2431 that'd require some thought. It's also ship direct from the manufacturer so no having to haul.

Curt-
    As luck would have it, Woodcraft has it for $2850 - Helical head and all. Free shipping. I mean, it's really hard to pass up at that price.

I've been drooling over the Hammer and now even the FS30 Minimax... One more day to decide...

One more day? This is a big decision, why rush it?

Would recommend the FS30 over any of the aforementioned machines.

I mean one day for the Woodcraft Sale.

Curt-
    As luck would have it, Woodcraft has it for $2850 - Helical head and all. Free shipping. I mean, it's really hard to pass up at that price.

I've been drooling over the Hammer and now even the FS30 Minimax... One more day to decide...
    FWIW, I spent less than $2000 for my Jet JJP12 when I bought it new several years ago. If someone bought a new one for less than $2000, it wouldn't be a bad deal...you'd get your money's worth out of it. Used, they're probably a steal because the performance is really quite good once it's all squared away. That Jet you're looking at, even with the helical head, is not worth $3400, or even the $2850 you can get it for on sale. It's just not. That's my big problem with it. To be worth $3000, or more, it just needs to be better.

Anyhow, when you're out at a bar and you ask your drinking buddies if you should have another scotch, what are they going to say? If you ask your woodworking buddies how to spend your money, what do you think we're going to say? I will tell you that I wish I had bought the Hammer. In the long run, the price difference is just not all that meaningful. What is it? Maybe a couple of projects worth of wood and hardware? There's nothing particularly wrong with the Jet. The Hammer is simply a better machine.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 07-24-2015 at 9:31 AM.

Thanks for some fantastic insight, John.

Prashun,

I agonized over the same choice. The Hammer seemed the better machine but the Jet was less money. After going back and forth so many times my wife told me that if I bought the Jet I would always wonder if I should have bought the Hammer. If I bought the Hammer I wouldn't wonder if I should have bought the jet.

She knows me too well.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Curt-

Does the $2850 include the 15% off? I paid around $1850 for the straight bladed version from sales and surplus in Auburn WA. but that was in probably 2006 or so. What costs the same today as it did in 2006? I expect the list is pretty short.

Blog Entries
    If it were me, I think I'd go with the Hammer.

In fact, If I was ever to do another shop, it might have quite a bit of Hammer in it.

My $.02.

PHM