Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Building my inventory of logs

Well I'm still collecting (and cutting) logs.

3 post oaks waiting for me to go pick up. The one I am measuring is 18' long.

Image 3.jpg

4 post oaks from storm damage.

Image 6.jpg

More free pecan from storm damage back in the spring. I got 96 boards out of 3 logs. 5/4 x 6" x 8.5 to 10.5' long. (See next post)

Image 4.jpg Image 2.jpg

Picked up 10 logs and 5 nice crotch sections (pecan) for my neighbor last week. That elm sticking out the back of the trailer is about 32' long.

Image 9.jpg Image 7.jpg

The biggest pecan in that batch of 10 logs.

Image.jpg

This pecan with root ball being carried by the skid steer will most likely end up being a post for my upcoming timber frame project. Will probably use it upside down. 17" at the small end.

Image 1.jpg

Here's the stack of lumber I got out of the 3 pecan logs.

IMG_0971.JPG

This is a 10"x10"x12.5' oak beam. Not sure what I'll do with it yet. Cut it as a exercise in getting the max out of a log. About 450 lbs.

IMG_0993.JPG

These is a bodark tree section I'll be getting. This tree fell down 40 years ago. There is another section, even larger, that I'll be getting as well. Sparks might fly when I'm cutting these.

Image 5.jpg Image 8.jpg

Did you spray the pecan to prevent powderpost beetle infestation? If I don't, the risk is high that I will get them as they love pecan.

I have not yet. I'll be cutting more soon and I need to restack this stack when I do. I'll treat both stacks then.

That would be the safe thing to do in Texas. PPB's are no fun in the finished product. I built a kitchen island top for a lady out of quartersawn white oak that had been air dried but not heat treated to kill any PPB larvae and eggs. Two years later, I get a call from the lady about little holes in the countertop and little piles of sawdust. I went and removed the top and put it in the kiln at 150 degrees for 24 hours to sterilize it. It warped very slightly but enough that I was not satisfied with it, so I had to cut it apart and basically re-make it. Not something that I will ever have to do again, I hope. I spray all ring porous hardwood boards, like pecan, with disodium octaborate tetrahydrate to prevent any infestation, then heat the kiln at the end of the drying cycle to 150 degrees and hold it there for 24 hours. Kinda like belt and suspenders.