Thread: A point about swing over top of the banjo - G0766 and other lathes

A point about swing over top of the banjo - G0766 and other lathes

Related to the other threads on the G0766, I find that this "swing over the banjo" thing needs a bit of clarification.....what is true for the G0766 is true for other lathes as well!

I took the time a few minutes ago and measured the swing over the original banjo to the center of my 0766 spindle [using the spur center installed] and it was 9" over the top of the bottom horizontal part of the banjo.

I then measured the same distance from my Oneway banjo and it was 8-3/4".

I don't have a 3520b on hand to take that same measurement, but next time I am at our club, I hope I can remember to that. The point is the 3520b is a 20" swing lathe, but you will not get a full 20" over top of the banjo either. Whatever the height is of that banjo on a 3520b will have to be deducted as well.

Swing measurements are always from the top of the bed ways to the center of the spindle.

So for those who were thinking the G0766 somehow severely reduced the swing........well for a cylinder of 21.5" well, yes you only have an 18" swing, like was mentioned earlier, because of the same banjo off the G0733 18/47 lathe, not a 16" swing as some have posted.

That does not prevent a bowl of 21-7/8" from being turned on the lathe, using the stock banjo and rest.

I am just trying to clear up any misconceptions a casual reader of these threads may get from statements made by any of us posters, and give accurate information to the serious inquirer about these issues, in the spirit of being helpful.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post

So for those who were thinking the G0766 somehow severely reduced the swing........well for a cylinder of 21.5" well, yes you only have an 18" swing, like was mentioned earlier, because of the same banjo off the G0733 18/47 lathe, not a 16" swing as some have posted.

That does not prevent a bowl of 21-7/8" from being turned on the lathe, using the stock banjo and rest.

I am just trying to clear up any misconceptions a casual reader of these threads may get from statements made by any of us posters, and give accurate information to the serious inquirer about these issues, in the spirit of being helpful.
    Not quite accurate Roger. With the stock banjo you are only going to be able to turn a spindle of less than 16" because the distance between the tool rest and center is 8" even though you have 9" over the banjo. So, for doing large spindle work, the 16" limitation is accurate.

The 22" swing over the bed, 18" over the banjo and 17" outboard limitation should be no surprise, all listed in the manual. The 16" limited by the banjo extension was a surprise though.

The stock setup will allow for turning a typical bowl form to near full 22" swing. But, if you are at all into turning more creative nontradional bowl forms or large hollow forms and need to position the banjo under the work piece you will be limited by that 18" or possibly 16" depending if the tool rest needs to be horizontal to the work piece. But, this limitation will likely not be a concern for most people.
    Last edited by James Conrad; 07-17-2015 at 1:43 PM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    Not quite accurate Roger. With the stock banjo you are only going to be able to turn a spindle of less than 16" because the distance between the tool rest and center is 8" even though you have 9" over the banjo. So, for doing large spindle work, the 16" limitation is accurate.

The 22" swing over the bed, 18" over the banjo and 17" outboard limitation should be no surprise, all listed in the manual. The 16" limited by the banjo extension was a surprise though.

The stock setup will allow for turning a typical bowl form to near full 22" swing. But, if you are at all into turning more creative nontradional bowl forms or large hollow forms and need to position the banjo under the work piece you will be limited by that 18" or possibly 16" depending if the tool rest needs to be horizontal to the work piece. But, this limitation will likely not be a concern for most people.
    On my rest the distance from center is 9 inches, not 8.......I measured with a tape measure, it is the same as was on my 18/47 lathe, so that would take the diameter of the swing to approximately 18 inches. I do realize of course that if one places the banjo underneath a turning [ a need for some forms] that it will limit the size a bit more.

Additional: There is a pic on the banjo nirvana thread that shows my original banjo with a Robust low profile rest in it, and it gives 10" out from the center line of the lathe...........so aftermarket rests of different configurations than the original rest may add some swing to the unit.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-17-2015 at 9:59 PM. Reason: additional info

On my rest the distance from center is 9 inches, not 8.
    I don't have my lathe in front of me, but mine was also in the 9-9.5" range with my aftermarket rest installed.

On my rest the distance from center is 9 inches, not 8.......I measured with a tape measure, it is the same as was on my 18/47 lathe, so that would take the diameter of the swing to approximately 18 inches. I do realize of course that if one places the banjo underneath a turning [ a need for some forms] that it will limit the size a bit more.
    I measured my last one before crating it back up at 8.5" to be sure I had all of my issues with the lathe documented. Any way, I hope Grizzly addresses these issues of the tool rest and Banjo for you guys, it's the right thing to do.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Seems like a non issue - all lathes will have reduced swing over the banjo. Doesn't stop you from swinging - and turning larger pieces. You just need to be creative with the banjo placement. I've turned well rounded blanks that were within 1/2" of the maximum listed for my AB (25"). Depending on what you're doing, it will work well - banjo behind or in front of blank as needed, offset toolrest post attachment. Just don't get too far from the toolrest center on large items.
    The biggest pieces I've done over ways were platters. Easy to get behind or in front of the blank as needed. Having done that, I don't often see myself doing it again. Still haven't found a home for the 24" bowl...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    Seems like a non issue - all lathes will have reduced swing over the banjo. Doesn't stop you from swinging - and turning larger pieces. You just need to be creative with the banjo placement. I've turned well rounded blanks that were within 1/2" of the maximum listed for my AB (25"). Depending on what you're doing, it will work well - banjo behind or in front of blank as needed, offset toolrest post attachment. Just don't get too far from the toolrest center on large items.
    The biggest pieces I've done over ways were platters. Easy to get behind or in front of the blank as needed. Having done that, I don't often see myself doing it again. Still haven't found a home for the 24" bowl...
    I agree it is a non-issue, as all lathes are alike in this matter, but the reason for mentioning it, is because more than once it was brought up by someone, so I just wanted to state it was no different for a Grizzly 0766 than any other lathe.

I believe the issue (or non-issue) has been covered and don't see any reason for this thread to continue. Everyone has had time to voice an opinion regarding this and with the plethora of G0766 threads available I will be closing this and others that are regarding the same topic.

Thanks, Scott
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------