Thread: Beautiful Day for Milling

Beautiful Day for Milling

I've been milling for cash the past couple of days. Just beautiful early fall weather. And I'm being spoiled because the guy I'm milling for has given me a young helper and a tractor with forks to load the logs onto the mill. The downside is he wants dimensional lumber, and that's a slower go than the random width I normally mill.

Yesterday, I found the drive belt on the mill was missing big pieces. Never seen that before, but I had a spare, so I changed it. Not too bad, maybe 30 minutes. Today the starter rope on my chainsaw broke. Another repair. Now I have a shorter starter rope.

I put a new blade on at some point this morning, made about two cuts and:

But when I inspected the blade I saw that the teeth weren't damaged much, but a dozen or so had bits of the nail bonded to the teeth. Some I could pick off with my fingers, others I removed with a pair of pliers. Amazingly, I cut another 200 bf or so with that blade, and it's still not done. Woodmizer Doublehard. Good stuff.

John

I cut another 100 bf of so with that blade. As I was cutting the last log before swapping it out for a new blade:

That was the end of that blade, for sure. I put on a new blade, made about two cuts in the same log, after removing the screw, and:

Not good. Surprisingly, the blade again looked pretty good after I picked off the bits of nail stuck to the teeth. I rolled the log and made another cut. Oh no:

Well this isn't going well. But again, the blade wasn't trashed. Until:

That was the head of a pretty large nail, and it bent over a whole bunch of teeth.

I don't know where the guy got these logs, but he might decide to look elsewhere after he pays for the blades that are being ruined.

John