Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best engraving wood, and where do you buy it?

Best engraving wood, and where do you buy it?

Hello all, I was just wondering what wood you find best for engraving on. I have read a lot of people like cherry and alder. I will mostly be doing text on plaques. Also I live in a smaller town and don't have a lot of options for buying solid wood. Where have you found the best place to buy wood (cherry/alder) at?
    Also, I haven't done any engraving on plywood. Just wonder any thoughts or tips on this.
    Thank you,
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Puckett View Post
    Hello all, I was just wondering what wood you find best for engraving on. I have read a lot of people like cherry and alder. I will mostly be doing text on plaques. Also I live in a smaller town and don't have a lot of options for buying solid wood. Where have you found the best place to buy wood (cherry/alder) at?
    Also, I haven't done any engraving on plywood. Just wonder any thoughts or tips on this.
    Thank you,
    Luke
    Don't have any idea where your at but I get my wood at the lumber yard, Menards here in the Midwest anyway. I like to use cedar, not red aromatic cedar but brown and its finished on one side. Takes a lot of sorting (sorry lumber yard guys) to get want I want. I have used the aromatic cedar which is even more pricey, and of course pine. I try to keep some weathered pine around which I think looks nice for some customers. Plywood, hardly ever.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Luke

Welcome to SMC. You'll find that it is much cheaper and easier to buy ready made plaques than making them yourself. I prefer cherry when I'm engraving wood but I usually use brass or sublimated plates on the plaques rather than engraving the wood.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Cherry engraves nice, but the wood darkens through the years. I mainly use Alder from JDS.
    They have 2 grades regular and premium. I get the premium as it's "Color Matched" well worth
    the price difference, esp if you engrave graphics..
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Welcome to the creek Luke. It would help if you tell us where you are located. You don't have to be specific, but a State or Country would help so we can refer you in the right direction.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Thanks to everyone it is good to be on SMC. As you can tell I'm a little green here. I'm located in the western part of KY. We do not have a Menards close by, there is a Lowes, but their selection is not great. There are a couple of small local lumber yards that do have different types of cedar, pine, oak, and a few other dimensional lumber. Of course I can get many different types of plywood (birch, etc.). I was just wondering about what others thought was best type of wood and hopefully a place close by or online that will help with buying and the cost of wood. I hope this helps.

Depends on your laser power, what type of laser and power are you running? It helps if you add it to your signature that way people can help you better. If you're 60w + all the hardwoods are nice and you can do them relatively quick. If you're lower power softwoods run fast, you can still do hardwoods but you'll have to go slower.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

George Pretzel here on SMC has thin Cherry and Walnut both engrave very nice.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Welcome to the Creek, Luke! I have used George Perzel's thin wood and it is always first class. But I also get thicker wood locally, as it is pretty cheap here in the boonies. You have to do some finish work though, so consider what you want to do yourself. The pieces I make are pretty custom designed and not something I can buy anywhere. Spending money on pre-made piano finish plaques is worth it in my opinion if that's what you want to use, they're not that expensive considering what you get.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    George Perzel here on SMC has thin Cherry and Walnut both engrave very nice.
    Fixed that for ya...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    George Pretzel here on SMC has thin Cherry and Walnut both engrave very nice.
    Hope George Perzel won't get twisted up over being turned into a Pretzel
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Thanks Dan guess I should dbl ck spelling huh Sorry George

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Fixed that for ya...
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Hey Guys;
    Thanks for the intros and thanks Dan for the corre4ction- thought my birth certificate had it wrong all these years....
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

Here is some birch plywood that I have engraved. In school we do many plaques out of 1/2" birch ply. Our 80w lasers engrave and cut so we can do some nice custom shapes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

Most of the engraving I do is on maple lumber, the more white the better. Soft maple is good but some times it has dark colors.
    Plywood wise I found that Baltic Birch can vary a lot. I have tried .125, .25, .375, .5, and .625 but none of it compares to the .75
    that I get from Lane Stanton Vance here in San Diego, CA.IMG 33 sfw 800 x 800.jpg
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC