Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimax FS30 Initial Setup and Review

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I think 4" is correct Fernco boot size for 120mm OD dust pickups. Remove the metal straps, fold it in half and slip it fully into your 5" flex hose. Small amount of grease on the pickup helps getting it all together.
    No, the dust ports on the machine are 5" OD. There's no way a 4" boot would fit over them. There are vanes on the inside of the ports, so you couldn't slip them on the inside either.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

The dust port(s) on your machine should be 120mm / 4.72". The ID of a 4" Fernco boot is 4.58". Once you remove the metal straps from the fitting, it should be able to stretch over the port no problem. Worked perfectly for my FS 41 Elite.

https://www.fernco.com/sites/default...df/1056-44.PDF

As I mentioned, use a bit of grease to help it.

A customer emailed me once the actual PN for the Fernco fitting that fits perfectly on any of the MM J/P's but I'll be darned if I can find that email now.

I think there are so many different brands of rubber coupler out there that there could be some slight variation, even if advertised ID or OD is the same, among them. I'll keep hunting for that email.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    The dust port(s) on your machine should be 120mm / 4.72". The ID of a 4" Fernco boot is 4.58". Once you remove the metal straps from the fitting, it should be able to stretch over the port no problem. Worked perfectly for my FS 41 Elite.

https://www.fernco.com/sites/default...df/1056-44.PDF

As I mentioned, use a bit of grease to help it.
    really? I thought I had measured one at the Borg, but I'm sure I'm wrong. Couldn't find a 5" one. I guess I'd still need a 4" coupler for my 4" hose. I just try a 5"-4" reducer with the weather stripping I have left over from the DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    A customer emailed me once the actual PN for the Fernco fitting that fits perfectly on any of the MM J/P's but I'll be darned if I can find that email now.

I think there are so many different brands of rubber coupler out there that there could be some slight variation, even if advertised ID or OD is the same, among them. I'll keep hunting for that email.

Erik
    i can't believe no one makes at 120mm->4" adapter. The euro machines are getting quite popular.

BTW, I've already purchased some m42 knives from one of the sources you provided. Thanks again for all of your support.

The OD for 5" Schedule 40 pipe is 5.563" so a 5" Fernco fitting wouldn't work on your 120mm port. 4" is the correct one.

Oneida makes a 4" - 120mm adapter: http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD...-AD04D1A1BF86}

4" ducting isn't a real optimal size for large chip collection from a j/p though.

Thanks again Peter! I know 4" isn't ideal, but it's all I have at the moment. I could take the dual hose adapter off of my Delta DC and run 6". The inlet is a little short though. On the plus side, I'm only running about 6 ft of 4" hose. It seems to pull in the big chips fine. I'm more worried about the fine dust. It does have a Wynn filter and Thein baffle.

I ran a 4" hose with the old el-cheapo, single-bagger DC units we use to tote with us back in the trade show days. It did a decent job on the jointer/planer for me. Planer chips are big, so it's not like running MDF on the table saw or something. Actually, more like little curly-ques, off the Tersa head. The trick I found was to keep the DC as close to the machine as possible. But it worked fine for me.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

That's what I'm thinking. I keep the DC directly connected and it pulls in big chips no problem. The shavings are very nice off the tersa knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Harper View Post
    i can't believe no one makes at 120mm->4" adapter. The euro machines are getting quite popular.

BTW, I've already purchased some m42 knives from one of the sources you provided. Thanks again for all of your support.
    My Euro machine have a 120mm port.

I tried the J/P once with a 4" hose, spent 5 minutes unclogging the J/P.

I think most people use a 5" hose with the Euro machines................Regards, Rod.

I have a 6" hose running with a 6-->5" reducer at the end of it, a couple of rounds of duct tape on the hood on my J/P and the 5" metal reducer fits nicely on the 120mm hood of J/P.

Here, I took pics of my set up. No need for duct tape that might wear out, just use a razor blade to bevel the inside of the Ferno coupling a bit to allow the slip fit to start.

This is 6 in PVC main, to a 6-->5in HVAC reducer, to 5in flex tube. Also note the 1/2 pvc coupling inside the Fernco, to allow the hose clamp something to register against.

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2386.jpgIMG_2387.JPG

I would recommend going with the fernco , I tried the same size coupler from another brand but it was much stiffer , slightly smaller and didn't fit without carving the inside edge out like the above poster.
    also it's best to use 5" hose with this coupler - the hose fits nicely over the coupler , and the coupler fits nicely over the ports of the j/p.
    I don't have the j/p , I have the cu300 but the ports are the same I believe .
    If you need to move down from the 5" hose to 4" , that's easily done by adapter.
    good luck!
    Scott

I use a six inch flex hose to connect to my machines. On the end of the flex hose I have a norfab six inch by 4.72 straight reducer. I had it custom built to my exact specs by norfab. The machine end has a slight taper and it slides over the dust port for a snug fit. I use it on my mini max jointer planer and my felder table saw. Works like a dream.

I ended up getting a 5->4 inch reducer for now. It actually fits perfectly over the ridge on the dust port. It's a pretty tight fit and seems to work well with my dust collector so far.