Thread: Waterlox wood prep

Waterlox wood prep

I am sanding my new WALNUT dinning table in preparation for the Waterlox finish. To what grit do I sand?
    Thanks for the help!!
    Jeffrey
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

It depends on how obvious you want the scratches to be. I usually sand to 220p.

Dan

With multiple coats of varnish, the surface scratches left by sandpaper get vanished......

I would sand 100 - 120 - 150 with my ROS, and then one final light pass of 150 by hand, following the grain - -be sure to lift the sandpaper off the surface as you move across the surface.

Sometimes 180 [depends on wood and project]. Never 220 - - just not necessary IMO. On a walnut table, I would definitely stop at 150.

BUT - I always sand end grain by hand to 320, if I am using dye - - different story, that.....
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I disagree with those who shun sanding above 220.

I sand all my walnut stuff up to 600. I think it makes a tactile and visual difference on low-build finishes. If you are brushing on several thick coats, it probably doesn't matter, but I don't finish most things that way; I wipe on Waterlox and prefer a thin (even if it means more delicate) finish.

Thanks for the help
    I should have mentioned that I will be brushing on the Waterlox.
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right