Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Banjo Nirvana........G0766

Thumbs up Banjo Nirvana........G0766

Well, the Oneway banjo I ordered as an aftermarket upgrade for my G0766 arrived this afternoon. Can I say SWEEEEEEET!!!???

Okay, the thing is really built and just exudes quality! Now, my less than stellar cell phone pics are all I have as I had to try and hold a tape measure with one hand and iphone with the other, but you will get the idea anyway!

First up, a pic with the new banjo ... G0766 lathe pics 039.jpg

Then a pic with the original rest that came with the G0766. Even with my modification it sits 1/2" below center line.

G0766 lathe pics 040.jpg Note the 14" away from center.....this would go beyond the 22" swing of the lathe!

Next, here is a pic of both banjos on the bed, and on the original banjo I have my Robust low profile 6" rest in the hole.......note it is actually 10" from center, and the new Oneway banjo makes the original rest to sit 14" from center.

G0766 lathe pics 033.jpg I have to say I am impressed with the engineering on the Oneway banjo. The locking handle is a unique and strong mechanism that will pivot as it tightens down on the post, instead of a ratchet handle that has the potential of stripping out. This thing is actually overbuilt!

The part number is H0082 1640 banjo with 1.5 gap for the clamp plate. Even though it says for a 1640 lathe, this was designed to be used with the outboard bed extension and will give you actually 28" of swing capability! One more thing......the color almost exactly matches the paint on the bed of the lathe!

Can we say happy camper?!!! I am really glad I did this upgrade, as it just brings the 0766 up to its full capability!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-14-2015 at 6:42 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice Roger! Thanks for the update and the correct part#. Looks like I have something else to buy . Can you tell me where you purchased it? Dorect from Oneway or somewhere else?
    Last edited by Dok Yager; 07-14-2015 at 6:52 PM.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Nice Roger! Thanks for the update and the correct part#. Looks like I have something else to buy . Can you tell me where you purchased it? Dorect from Oneway or somewhere else?
    Direct from Oneway.........I called and spoke to their tech expert, and he walked me through the issue to this, and I could see by the pics of this one Vs. the 20" and 24" that they were too high and this one was similar in height to the banjo that came with the 0766.

The Robust rests really work super well with this banjo!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Direct from Oneway.........I called and spoke to their tech expert, and he walked me through the issue to this, and I could see by the pics of this one Vs. the 20" and 24" that they were too high and this one was similar in height to the banjo that came with the 0766.

The Robust rests really work super well with this banjo!
    What does a Oneway banjo and shipping cost? I bought my 2436 used and it came with two banjos and am curious what the extra one runs.
    Last edited by Dale Miner; 07-14-2015 at 9:02 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
    What does a Oneway banjo and shipping cost? I bought my 2436 used and it came with two banjos and am curious what the extra one runs.
    This one was $249, and the 20" & 24" were $297, if I remember correctly Dale. C.A. Savoy has a 25% off sale right now on accessories, but wouldn't you know it, that I got that email a day after I had already ordered!

The shipping was $22.00.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-14-2015 at 9:17 PM.

Very nice, Roger. Let's see:

G0766: $1,550
    Oneway Banjo: $187 (after C.A.'s discount)
    Robust tool rest: $69
    Grand Total, net shipping, to turn deep 22" bowls and hollow forms inboard: $1,806

If I had any need at all for a bigger lathe, that would sure work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Very nice, Roger. Let's see:

G0766: $1,550
    Oneway Banjo: $187 (after C.A.'s discount)
    Robust tool rest: $69
    Grand Total, net shipping, to turn deep 22" bowls and hollow forms inboard: $1,806

If I had any need at all for a bigger lathe, that would sure work for me.
    But I got a 10% discount, and that knocked $155 off the original price............I'm okay with what I have spent!

Roger, actually, from your pics it looks like the original tool rest might have worked fine without being modified now that you have the Oneway banjo. Do you think if would? If yes, then my ciphering is off. Total: $1,737, even without a Grizzly coupon.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Roger, actually, from your pics it looks like the original tool rest might have worked fine without being modified now that you have the Oneway banjo. Do you think if would? If yes, then my ciphering is off. Total: $1,737, even without a Grizzly coupon.
    Well, as you can see in the pic I posted with the original rest in the new banjo, the modified original sits 1/2" below the centerline, which is borderline probably, but I would have to use a couple of bowl gouges to see if that would be good. I took 3/4" off mine down to the post, and if one has not modified theirs and used this banjo, they would need to likely take 1" off down to the post to work really well with this banjo.

The straight posts on the Robust rests are no issue.....they adjust vertically plenty well. I am likely to get a J-rest and perhaps an outside curve [not sure on that one] but that will come later. I have plenty of projects needed for the gallery and what I have will do fine. I just need some time to get to them.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-14-2015 at 10:23 PM.

C.A. Savoy has a 25% off sale right now on accessories....

The shipping was $22.00.
    My Google-fu is apparently not up to par this morning. Do they have a website you can order from? I can't seem to track down a link.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    My Google-fu is apparently not up to par this morning. Do they have a website you can order from? I can't seem to track down a link.
    Matt.........here is his email. He is strictly Oneway. Send him an email inquiring about his 25% ad and he will send you the flyer by email and you can order. Everyone who does business with him speaks very highly! I had emailed him before I ever ordered my banjo, and he thought the 24" banjo would be right, but it is not, so make sure you get the one I mentioned above in this thread!

cadjsavoy@cox.net

Roger, CA was not able to get the Oneway banjo at the 25% discount. I believe he WAS able to do 10% though.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

13. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Roger, CA was not able to get the Oneway banjo at the 25% discount. I believe he WAS able to do 10% though.
    Thanks for the info, Tony.....appreciated!

Ordered one today. However Oneway is closed for 2 weeks for cleanup and re-tooling she said, so the wait continues .
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

The part number is H0082 1640 banjo with 1.5 gap for the clamp plate. Even though it says for a 1640 lathe, this was designed to be used with the outboard bed extension and will give you actually 28" of swing capability! One more thing......the color almost exactly matches the paint on the bed of the lathe!
    Hello Roger,
    I have been following all of this with great interest and thank you for all of the information. I want to clarify something. If one just orders the H0082, does it come with the correct clamp plate? Or do you have to specify a non-standard plate. I am just not sure if the 1.5" gap is standard for the H0082. I have found other suppliers online that have the H0082 in stock, but not sure about this detail. Thanks!