Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raised Panel and Back Cutter Questions.

Blog Entries
    As others have said, it appears to be a depth of cut issue, front and back. I agree with cutting about 1/2" less in depth using the fence versus the bearing as your depth stop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The t bushing is for bench comparison, not going on the shaper at all. A 1" ID double t bushing would work as well, I happen to have an old 3/4" one I kept just for the purpose. It lets you quickly align the two cutters so you can measure the relative difference in radius to see the off set of the cut, not sure this actually would work with that deep recess in the back cutter. It's an interesting way to let you cut arched and curved panels with a back cut in one pass, though you lose control of your depth adjustment. If these are not arched panels that bearing has no place in this set up. You can use it as a spacer if required, probably easier to eliminate it, stack regular spacers to make up the height, and use a JR type fence to set the depth. All this can get challenging depending on the assortment of t bushings you have available if going from 1" to 1 1/4". I spent the morning setting up a new shelf edge cutter, double mitered tongue and groove type thing, bushing a 1 1/8" spindle up to 1 1/4", I just didn't have the bushings to do it the way I wanted at first but found a way to make it work.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

First off I'd like to say thanks to those that helped with suggestions, I always walk away even if it's a simple question with more than I had bargained for. So the rest of the story is nothing is wrong with the panel raiser, bearing, and back cutter, a few more details on the web page might have helped.

Couple of things that can happen with this setup if your a rookie ding ding ding... If you have a 1 1/4 spindle and nest everything together and line up the profiles accordingly your going to raise and back cut a 3/4 think panel in one pass which will give you the 1/4 tongue. You will also cut back the panel about 13/16 or so. I you don't mind that your done. I didn't try this. I think its to much going on at once,at least for me. Second off I don't have a 1 1/4 spindle. .

Now what I did was I added T bushing since my spindle is 1" this raised the bearing and the panel raising cutter enough that it required adjusting the spindle up to make the back cut. Of course your still going to get the huge back.

Peter suggested clamping a board 1/2 thick to make up the difference and back cut off of it. Sounds like a winner to me. These cutters are nice and run very smooth just not what I expected on the back side.

Dave
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 07-14-2015 at 5:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    That would be an acceptable answer, but since all the panels are glued up and a few are wider than my drum sander and planer kinda makes it tough.

Find someone with a larger planer or widebelt? If someone walked into my shop with a handful of panels I'd bust them through my widebelt for a few bucks no problem.