Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jessem clear cut stock guide for table saw

Jessem clear cut stock guide for table saw

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00

I just ordered one of these but wanted to see if any of you guys and gals have any experience with it. It looks like a great system and works well from the reviews I've read so far. I always have trouble keeping my stock straight when ripping long boards on the table saw and thought this would be the perfect solution. It goes one step above a feather board since it rides on the stock and pulls it to the fence instead of pushing from the other end of the board. This eliminates the need to adjust the feather boards if ripping stock with different widths.

I'd love to hear from those that own it and have used it to see how you like it before I start drilling holes on top of my sawstop fence. Thanks in advance.

It's an excellent add-on for both safety and cut quality. I've been using them for several months. Cutting plywood to 10/4 mahogany has all been improved in stability and accuracy.

I have a Sawstop PCS with the premium fence. It took a little extra to fit the rail to that fence but should be easy on the large Sawstop fence.

It takes a little practice to move the end of wood or plywood past the blade when ripping narrower pieces. The rollers do get in the way but I use the Sawstop push stick to slip the end of the wood under the rollers. It works fine.

I would have bought the stock guides years ago if available. They really are that good. Installation instructions are very good. You shouldn't have any issues.

If you have any specific questions, ask away.

A very expensive version of Board Buddies. I have used them for years, work great. I have bought the Jessem guides for my router table. They work well also.

I have the router table versions too, and the table stock guides are just a better solution for the table saw than the router versions are for the router table. In my opinion, the rollers are set too far out from the fence for narrow stock on the router table version. That's where the table saw stock guides shine. They can be tucked nearly right up the fence.

The angle set to the stock guides makes a huge difference to keep wood tight to the fence, and it works. Jessem is excellent at machining parts.
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 07-12-2015 at 8:50 PM.

I've had them for about 3-4 months and really like them - particularly when ripping long stock or sheet goods. Like all Jessem products they are excellently engineered and very high quality. You will love them.

I have them as well and really like them. For me, it makes handling sheet goods and long thin stock much safer to cut and I get straighter cuts since things can't wander away from the fence. Took me about 6 months to justify the purchase since they are pretty pricey but I do really like having them now.

I've had these on my tablesaw for about a year and really like them. You have to move them out of the way when using a push stick but they are easy to move on top of the fence.

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is exactly what I was hoping to read to make my purchase hurt less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    A very expensive version of Board Buddies. I have used them for years, work great. I have bought the Jessem guides for my router table. They work well also.

I meant I use the Board Buddies.

Has anyone created a facsimile of this stock handler or the board buddy? Pictures? Plans?

Ditto on the value of the TS guides.... best money spent for TS ripping.

Been using them a few years now, would never be without them. Without the Jessem guides, seems no matter how hard you try, at times, the stock can deflect away from the fence. Sometimes this happens due to fence deflection. Often only enough to leave saw marks, but when you want a glue ready cut, well, u gotta clean it up...and when cut to final dimension, that creates new problems.

I find the value of the guides are...

without the guides, I push stock hard against the fence, prob. 60% of my push force is against the fence, this slows the feed and can sometimes burn the wood.
    All this force against the fence, can deflect the fence also, causing more problems. I use the LS Incra fence, and if I am making repeatable cuts, I will lock down the outfeed side of the fence to reduce deflection, a big advantage of the INcra fence IMO. Most TS fences dont have lock down on the opposite side.

When I use the Jessem guides, now I only put about 25% of my push energy towards the fence, 75% goes straight through the blade, faster feed, less chance of burn marks.

I find the hardest part of the Jessem guides are, setting them on the stock. Its a bit cumbersome. Too low, it resist your push force. too high, insufficient pressure on the stock, thereby the guides not exerting max. pull pressure towards the fence. My technique is, put stock under guide while guide is loose, gently side stock out, lower guide additional 3/16". I wing it by eye, but if I was cutting 50 pieces of same thickness stock, I would be much more meticulous in setting the guide position.

I am curious how others set theirs?

Does anyone here use these on a non-Bies type fence? I have a Grizzyl G0833P table saw, and the stock fence will not accommodate the stock guides in their "normal" setting. I am just curious. I want the stock guides, but I also don't want to have to purchase a Bies type fence either!

Yep, theyre awesome. Got em on my Sawstop PCS and router table. Wouldnt be without them!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks for the positive Recommendations. I’ve been considering the TS version for some time already. This is going to be my BF gift to myself since I resisted spending on impulse.

Blog Entries
    The benefit will depend on your use case. Watch the videos and see the types of cuts they are used for. You can only use a push stick to finish your cut if the material is enough wider than the guides to allow it. Great for non-through cuts or trimming stuff off the side of a > 3" wide blank that is away from the fence. High quality like most Jess-Em stuff. For my use (hardwood furniture) they are more in the way than of benefit so they were a no-go. I really wanted to like them. Sheet good cabinetry would really benefit. They are great at holding wide, long, unwieldy pieces against the fence during an operation.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-26-2023 at 10:49 AM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler