Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jessem clear cut stock guide for table saw

I went with the removable magsafe and it works great. That said ... I've never found the need to remove it.

I've found that being able to remove them easily comes handy when they conflict with another jig.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    I've found that being able to remove them easily comes handy when they conflict with another jig.

Cliff
    My jigs all utilize the JessEm track that is bolted to the fence. I just slide off the guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Moodley View Post
    I received my TS stock guides yesterday - now, do I use the self tapping screws and go direct into my Sawstop T-Glide fence or, do I fork out an additional $100 for the MagSafe 90 and make the guides removable?

What are the pros and cons?
    There's a cheaper option to make them removable. You can drill and tap the holes on the fence to accept machine screws. It's then removable, though with a bit more effort. However, it probably depends on how often you'd take them off. I replaced one of my fence faces with T-slot extrusion, so most of my jigs/auxillary fences mount to that. Haven't really found the situation where I routinely have to remove the guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Moodley View Post
    I received my TS stock guides yesterday - now, do I use the self tapping screws and go direct into my Sawstop T-Glide fence or, do I fork out an additional $100 for the MagSafe 90 and make the guides removable?

What are the pros and cons?
    I mounted them directly. In 5 years, zero regrets doing so. I use them regularly on every project and find that mostly pivoting out of the way is all I need. Any jigs I have, as needed, utilize the t-track on the guide, making for a stable platform by which to work from. I just slide off the two roller assemblies.

I really like the idea of drilling and tapping along with using the rail for future jigs. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by al ladd View Post
    I bought a set to compare them to my Board Buddies, and to my small shop-built power feeder. At 4X the price they are a little easier to install than the Board Buddies, with similar functionality, and at 20% lower price a bit faster yet to install than the power feeder, with no where near the functionality.

For small repetitive work the power feeder is a dream, and either of the hold down systems a pain, because the need for a push stick (if you can even use one), or the pause to pick up a new piece is apt to cause burning. That woodworkers buy these by the thousands shows the power of aesthetics and marketing over utility. They are beautiful objects, and that anodized aluminum makes the Board Buddies look like a relic from another century in comparison, which I suppose they are.
    Another vote for a stock feeder. The baby stock feeders are cheap and versatile. The one draw back is sheet goods. I don't use sheet goods, except for crates, so 14 1/2 " max rip width with a stock feeder is fine. The feeder rips wood down to 5/16" wide, and incorporates dust collection. As far as guards, dust collection, and kick back, a feeder is best. Rough ripping rough cut lumber is dangerous without a lot of downward force at a variety of thicknesses. For the same money, there are big old stock feeders out there.

Like these alot. I borrowed the idea that Dave Stanton did using Mag Switches on Youtube JessEm table saw stock guides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMYbMbTJdH0 Using the Mag Switches, you do not have drill your fence. I also made some other jigs to use the same mounting system.