Thread: Cradle

Cradle

I just completed my first project after a 6 year hiatus. Don't you just hate it when the real world gets in the way of your hobbies. Since I recently became a grandfather, this project seemed only fitting. It is based on plans for Children's Furniture Projects by Jeff Miller. Made from Cherry with Curly Maple spindles. Secondary wood for the slats is Alder. Finish is General Finishes Arm-R-Seal.

Like most of us, there are things I'm not happy with and little flaws that just jump out at me. For my next one, I'll try to find a mattress that is a little smaller so it doesn't look as boxy, ad I'll make the spindles a little smaller.

This was a combination of powered and Neander work, with final dimensioning by hand, with all finished surfaces planed or spokeshaved.

20150629_195350_zed20150702_085313_60p.jpg

20150629_195129_zed20150702_085144_60p.jpg

20150629_195116_zed20150710_104223_60p.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful work Mark. I made a similar one out of cherry & maple for my first granddaughter 12 years ago. It has had a total of 4 grandchildren go through it.
    It was a rewarding project.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a nice effort and I'm sure it will be an heirloom. I wouldn't worry about the small flaws that you see. I believe the best way to notice flaws less is to promote design features over surface perfection. One possibility I see for another one would be to put some taper or entasis on the spindles, that would lighten it a bit even if they were done without a lathe and every one slightly different. I don' think the SIZE of the spindles is wrong, just maybe a bit rigid...the baby will soften the look a bit !
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 07-10-2015 at 1:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Very nicely done. Nothing better than a cradle from Grandpa ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree completely, Mel, and in fact was the original plan. Unfortunately, I soon realized that my turning skills had suffered much more than my flatwork skills during the hiatus, and that I wasn't going to be able to get 36 spindles to look even close to being uniform! As such I made them by roughing them out on the router table and finishing them with the spokeshave. I probably could have put a little taper in them, but by then I was under the gun to get it done!

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous work Mark! Congrats on becoming a grandpa!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Beautiful work, welcome back !
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Sweet job on the cradle Mark!

Looks great, Mark! And welcome back...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

super cradle..once the kid chews on it and spits up on it, those flaws will be inconsequential!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe