Thread: JWS-34L help - spindle replacements? Alternates?

JWS-34L help - spindle replacements? Alternates?

I've got nice JWS-34L shaper that my dad gave to me, works fine but I've gotten it working using 1/2 router bits and it has the spindle adapter for the router bits in it.

The 3/4" and 1" spindles are MIA. I'm having a hard time finding the exact spindle replacement. Does anyone know for sure what the part number is, or whether the 3/4" spindles from say, a 22CS would work?

Much appreciate the help!

-Bob

Bob

Can you post a pic of the spindle adapter you have. It appears from internet photos and diagrams that the Jet, 18, 25 and 35 use similar spindles, and they seem to be the same as the Powermatic 25a spindles.
    Apparently your shaper came with 8 different spindle adapters available for it. Possibly one of the others is the same, or a close enough match, that you could have it machined to match yours.
    One option may be to change the spindle, and or the spindle cartridge itself, to one of the other machines' configuration.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Here we go... all I have is the large nut and the 1/2" router bit adapter, shown both in an out. I took a picture with a measure, but can put a mic on it of course.

2015-07-07 08.12.44-sm.jpg2015-07-07 08.13.01-sm.jpg

Got through to a human at Jet. Question:"you don't have the manual with the parts listing?". HA HA HA HA HA HA.
    Very helpful though. Sent me a scanned PDF of the manual, and going through it, is clear that what I need is JWS34-002 for the 3/4" or JWS34-001 for the 1".

Wasn't able to find those parts anywhere on line, but the friendly Jet support line said they had a few of each in stock and that the reason I wasn't able to find those online was because it is listed for discontinuation.

$125 for the 3/4 assembly
    $137 for the 1" assembly.

Ordered.

They weren't able to help out on the question of "will a later model kit fit".

I have to say I'm very impressed with their support line.

-Bob