Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good axe for chopping campfire wood?

What's a good axe for chopping campfire wood?

We've been making good use of our backyard fire ring but I'm finding most of the wood we buy needs to be split further than the suppliers split it. I've got a nice Fiskars hatchet but dense woods laugh at its light weight and my inability to swing it very hard. What's a good option for an axe for this purpose without overkill?

I use a splitting maul.

Google Hudson Bay Axe they come with 17 to 20 inch Handles and One and three-quarter to two pound heads
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Hard to beat the larger fiskers X 27 if you have to split with an axe

I like my Estwing Fireside Friend. Not rally an axe but works great for splitting wood that's already cut to campfire length.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

That Estwing looks like the way to go. And its only $36 at Amazon.

Only $29 at the orange borg, if you happen to be driving past.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

The fireside tool is a short handle most likely one handed operation. For splitting wood I like a longer handle 36" 2 handed swing . you can get some good power behind it. If theres any twist or knots in your wood you'll be happy with a little more power behind it. So a good splitting maul is what I use.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

None of the orang stores around here stock it. They can get it in only 2 weeks.

Bert do you think I would find that useful for pre-split firewood as well? Or is that most useful for whole logs?

I use a splitting maul that I've had forever. I forgot how many pounds it is but it gets the job done quickly.

Red
    RED

11. the Estwing is the way to go on wood that is already split.

I've got it, and a regular maul. The regular maul gets used on whole logs.

Blog Entries
    I have three axes. I have my.grandfather's felling axe. A splitting maul for just that, splitting. I have a small hatchet for splitting ton kindling. I also have some iron wedgesfor more, umm obstinate wood. You'll want a splitting maul. No one axe will do all in all circumstances.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Johnson View Post
    Hard to beat the larger fiskers X 27 if you have to split with an axe
    Second on the X 27, had 2 mauls and dumped both after buying the 27 , buy the sharpener too.

Well today we had to run an errand and our route took us past our favorite hardware store that was nearest our old house. Now close to a 35 minute drive so we never go there anymore unfortunately. I stopped by looking for something else and they had a ~24" Fiskars splitting axe so I bought it. More expensive than the Estwing, but I got to spend money at my favorite hardware store instead of some retail giant so it was worth it. Brought it home and I split up all the obstinate wood in the firewood rack into much more suitable pieces for our small fire ring.

Best axe I have ever found to use is my neighbors.....the guy who wont' lend it out, but will come do it for you.