Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retorquing tires?!

Retorquing tires?!

I got new tires today. They sent me an email "reminding" me that I had to bring it back after 25 miles to have the the bolts retorqued. I have bought plenty of tires and no one had ever said that before.

Are they being conscientious, were the other dealers negligent, or is it something new?

(no one there told me about it, it was simply on the email follow up)

the new alloy rims need to be torqued to the proper specs one is to protect the rims and also to keep the rotors from warping.

Shops have been saying this for years on a lot of wheels. When I got new tires for my trailer they noted to check torque after 50 miles. If the shop ever takes the wheels off my converted bus they put a note on the repair order to check the torque after a certain number of miles.

I think they've learned that to make the lug nuts truly unremovable, they need two chances with the impact wrench.

I get the same thing where I buy tires (Costco). I don't return after exactly 25 miles, but I do eventually get back to at least have the (nitrogen) pressure checked. I think the torque check is a safety thing or more specifically an insurance thing, required as a means of preventing any potential litigations in our lawsuit-happy society. Whatever the case, it seems like good customer service.

Usually if it is new wheels/rims (and typically tires), getting the torque checked after rolling for a few miles is recommended. The new wheel/rim can move a tiny bit under the new stress of being put into use. I've never heard it from any places I've bought tires from however and I've not purchases new wheels/rims in a very long time. However, it certainly doesn't sound like a bad idea but I would just do my own rather than the hassle of taking it back for a simple torque check.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    ...and also to keep the rotors from warping.
    http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    I get the same thing where I buy tires (Costco). I don't return after exactly 25 miles, but I do eventually get back to at least have the (nitrogen) pressure checked. I think the torque check is a safety thing or more specifically an insurance thing, required as a means of preventing any potential litigations in our lawsuit-happy society. Whatever the case, it seems like good customer service.
    I usually buy my tires at Costco and they have never asked my to bring them back for re-checking. Maybe it is something new.

They have a law in California where they have to offer to check your tire pressure. Every oil change or smog check place will ask. You can decline by saying that you just checked them yourself. Otherwise, they can charge you $7 or $8 to check.

Steve

Phil, now that is a good one. I will use it as my own and give you no credit.

That is why I have my own torque wrench. I trust no one in most shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I think they've learned that to make the lug nuts truly unremovable, they need two chances with the impact wrench.
    I often remove the wheels for a detail cleaning and then apply anti-seize paste to the studs while they're off. That way, even if Cleetus gets crazy with the impact, you can still crack the lugs yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    That is why I have my own torque wrench. I trust no one in most shops.
    This... ^^^ That being said, my local Discount Tire always seems to use one as I am watching through the bay windows.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I just torque my own.
    I have two Mini Coopers with performance wheels and tires. I do my own brakes and wheels. They get rotated every 5-7K miles.
    Buy a quality torque wrench and do it your self.

Erik
    Adding the anti-sieze compound now gives you a "wet torque". If this is your 'Cooper, keep it at the low end of the wheel torque spec.
    Mine, " dry torqued", are set to 110ft/lbs.

When I become emperor. Impact wrenches will only turn in the CCW direction for lug nuts!
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-01-2015 at 3:37 PM.

My guess is it's simply to make sure it was done properly the first time. Few places insist on good work habits anymore. Guy could easily step away for a moment and forget what he was doing. I have seen guys put knives in a shaper head NOT TIGHTEN THEM ,walk away for bathroom or cigarette, come back and turn on machine. Should have been fired immediately. As jobs get easier to do it gets harder to develop good habits. I have been accused of screwing up jobs based only on angry call from customer. Always deny it and always right. Boss: how do you know you didn't make that mistake!? ME:because I have good work habits and it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to make a mistake of that type. But back to tires. I had a flat ,took it off and put on spare, dropped tire off to be repaired. It was "fixed" five times before it was fixed. Yes ,I picked it up and put it back on five times only to have it go flat within 24 hours. Turned out the wheel rim was filthy. I had left a note saying " please, clean the rim thoroughly".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    ...Erik
    Adding the anti-sieze compound now gives you a "wet torque". If this is your 'Cooper, keep it at the low end of the wheel torque spec.
    Mine, " dry torqued", are set to 110ft/lbs.

When I become emperor. Impact wrenches will only turn in the CCW direction for lug nuts!
    Thanks, Mike. I had heard of this before. Yeah, I actually check the torque on both the Mini and 4Runner after we get them back from any shop work. I'm with you: The impact (I use a 1/2" gun at home) is just for removal, never for threading.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I got new tires today. They sent me an email "reminding" me that I had to bring it back after 25 miles to have the the bolts retorqued. I have bought plenty of tires and no one had ever said that before.

Are they being conscientious, were the other dealers negligent, or is it something new?

(no one there told me about it, it was simply on the email follow up)
    what kind of rims do you have? As was stated it may be a good idea to recheck torque on the wheel lugs. will they charge you for this service?