Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool Kapex

A couple thoughts on this. I have used the following makers saws- Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi, and Ridgid, besides the Kapex. I use these in a professional, day in, day out manner for my woodworking/ contracting business. None of the saw makers saws that I listed, are as smooth running- which translates to a better cut, than the Kapex. None of them have had as accurate miter scales and stops as the Kapex. It also throws those small off cuts the least because of it. There is no real "reactionary torque" on the head/blade assembly on startup, or stop like some of the others.
    None of them has as good dust collection- here is the catch though- if you want really decent dust collection, you need to use the larger diameter hose for the Festool . One fits inside the port, you want the one that fits outside- like 35 or 36 mm I think. Makes all the difference.
    The scales are easy to read, and adjust to.

The Kapex does suffer more than a little though, due to its 10" blade size though. I don't care what they or anyone says about it having the same capacity of a saw with a 12" blade. If you do any amount of serious trim work and moldings, you quickly learn its limitations.
    They need a 12" version!
    So, I've owned them all, and the Kapex is what I'd keep if forced to choose.

I recently upgraded to the Kapex from a 12" Bosch SCMS. I think the quality and accuracy of the cuts on the Kapex are far superior. What I noticed on the Bosch saw was that the saw tended to deflect when cross cutting wide boards, it was hard to get a nice square cut much over 6" in width. I was using an excellent blade, Forrest Chopmaster, so that was not the most likely cause. I used that saw for years and it was a good saw as long as you knew its weaknesses.

I was specifically looking at this characteristic on the Kapex and you can tell the structure of the saw is more laterally rigid. There is a trade-off in capacity, and I can tell the saw is not as powerful as the Bosch. I haven't run into a situation yet where I miss the capacity or power. The other thing I noticed about the Kapex is it is incredibly smooth while cutting, vibration is seemingly nonexistent. The lasers and the dust collection work great. I recently did a large trim project in my house, and clean-up was minimal, in other words I am still breathing the wife didn't kill me. If I was using the Bosch, needless to say I wouldn't be here to write this, actually I would have just had to shuttle between the project and the saw outside.

The Kapex is super nice, but the price is painful... no two ways about it.

I used the Kapex professionally for several years and was severely under impressed. Strip away the gimmicks and tricks, the business end....the turntable and sliding mechanism....no more accurate or rigid than a host of other saws I've used, and in some cases less so. That soft start/slow start thing is for the birds, let up on the trigger just a hair and it has to go all the way to off before restart, it drives me crazy. Course some say it's a short trip for me already.....

all that dust collection/safety aperatus around the blade are great....until you trim an outside miter on the saw and then need to trim just a bit more off, and the long point of the miter gets hung up on the blade shroud every time. Yes, that's a joy I can live without. I used one to cut hundreds of small parts for a complex parquet panel, wound up bringing my makita to work, couldn't take the Kapex anymore. I remember it seemed difficult to attach auxiliary fences to it versus how easy it is on the makita. I had to cut a bunch of oak herringbone flooring on it, 5" rift and quartered......this is when you find out just how rigid it is not, because I couldn't get two cuts to come out the same to save my life. The oak wants to pull the blade off coarse on a long miter and this saw is simply not rigid enough to resist it.

There are some good features, the angle splitter built in, the rack and pinion bevel adjustment is heads above any other maker. And it's relatively quiet. I found the miter scale clogged very easily with the slighted but of saw dust in it, so you had better use a vacuum, or like most things festool it gets very cranky. Almost every guy in the shop developed the same opinion of the Kapex....over priced and over hyped, rather use something that works better and deal with the dust.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Funny how different people can get such different results? Must make you wonder what you could have been doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I've heard mixed reports on the dust collection, care to share your perspective on these?
    A wild guess is that it gets about 85%. Occasionally I forget to turn the vacuum on, and it has to blow up 6 or 7 times as much dust then as when it is turned on. Not perfect, but good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Microsoft was willing to pay 35%? Now that is something I want to know more about.
    8 or 9 years ago Microsoft paid you 35% for many things you bought after finding it with a Google search. I don't remember the conditions, but anything on ebay was good. When Festool found out, they forbid their dealer from putting stuff on ebay. (like it cost them anything!) They paid me like $1,500; which means I bought too many things, but I can't resist a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    A couple thoughts on this. I have used the following makers saws- Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Hitachi, and Ridgid, besides the Kapex. I use these in a professional, day in, day out manner for my woodworking/ contracting business. None of the saw makers saws that I listed, are as smooth running- which translates to a better cut, than the Kapex. None of them have had as accurate miter scales and stops as the Kapex. It also throws those small off cuts the least because of it. There is no real "reactionary torque" on the head/blade assembly on startup, or stop like some of the others.
    None of them has as good dust collection- here is the catch though- if you want really decent dust collection, you need to use the larger diameter hose for the Festool . One fits inside the port, you want the one that fits outside- like 35 or 36 mm I think. Makes all the difference.
    The scales are easy to read, and adjust to.

The Kapex does suffer more than a little though, due to its 10" blade size though. I don't care what they or anyone says about it having the same capacity of a saw with a 12" blade. If you do any amount of serious trim work and moldings, you quickly learn its limitations.
    They need a 12" version!
    So, I've owned them all, and the Kapex is what I'd keep if forced to choose.
    Thanks for your thoughts, I will take those into account. This is a very difficult decision.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I had a 12" Bosch SCMS. Its arbor was just a few thousands undersized. The plate that tightened against the blade was also just enough off that I could not really snug down a blade. That was true for the OEM blade and 2 Forrest chopmasters I tried on it. The result was a blade that wobbled just enough to ruin the smoothness and accuracy of any cut. Result was I used the saw only for rough cutting to length long stock, rather than the picture framing I bought it for. I cannot speak for all Bosch saws (in general I have been very happy with Bosch tools), but only my particular 12" Bosch.

When additional tools made my space really tight, the space savings of the forward rail Kapex made the upgrade worthwhile to me. The cuts are far superior (maybe I just had a lemon Bosch), the compact size works for me, and the dust collection, while far from perfect, is way better than the Bosch. I plan to eventually build a dust shell around the saw (which you are not doing), but for now, I generally have a little cleanup with the shopvac after every use (unless like a previous poster I forget to turn on the vac attached to the saw--then I have a major cleanup).

If you are satisfied with the cuts of your saw, space is not an issue, I would be hard pressed to tell you to upgrade just to have a green saw. So many neat tools to spend your money on.

James

i have the kapex mine is a lemon wont stay square and all i do is cut 90s no bevels or miters they have sent me the parts to fix it free of charge but it didnt fox it and when i say wont stay tuned i mean you bump it and its out or you cut up rough stock and its out
    mounted in a bench and never moved
    i am not knocking festool love there stuff and they will fix it if i send it in but then i need a saw for the shop use it everyday and my jobsite miter saw is to small for the shop cant be without a saw for even a day so i bit the bullet and bought the bosch CM12GD even though i have heard it can be hard to get one thats accurate got it for 599 plus 2 25 dollar gift cards took it home made a couple cuts with the stock blade it sucked put on my forrest miter master and it made s cuts in a 13" piece of plywood it had so much slope from side to side left a .015 gape on a straight edge
    boxed it up and got another same thing not sure what to buy now

Why spend $1400 on a hand operated tool when you can have a penumatic double mitre saw for $2000? well its 2nd hand but works beautifully

This is what I use. safe and LOVELY to watch, capacity is 6x4, anything bigger I put it through my panel saw, much more accurate and safer than SCMS.