Thread: Sand between coats of alkyd wiping varnish?

Sand between coats of alkyd wiping varnish?

Quick question: Is it necessary (or even a good idea) to very lightly scuff sand after my first set of three very thin coats of P&L 38 (thinned 50% with MS) wiped on and before coming back about 24 hours later to do my second set? Please assume I have no rough spots, dust nibs, or dead bugs (will scuff if I do). I am just wondering if the sanding is necessary, or at a minimum best practice, for adhesion when I come back and start the second set of three thin wiped on coats.

The first set is now drying, and I will return to it tomorrow afternoon or evening. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew

Sanding is not necessary for adhesion when you're applying the coats so soon after the previous one. If you were waiting months or years between coats, scuffing the surface would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Sanding is not necessary for adhesion when you're applying the coats so soon after the previous one. If you were waiting months or years between coats, scuffing the surface would help.
    Thank you. I am working with a large slab of lightly spalted maple (7 1/2 feet x 42-34-44 inches). I am using P&L 38 cut 50% with MS. I have done two sets of very thin coats wiped on (like the kid at Denny's). I have a few spots not yet shiny, presumably becase they are soaking it in. Just keep going? I don't want to end up with a plastic encasement but am not sure what to do to even it out and am thinking to keep on keeping on.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Keep going, you can always rubb it out to whatever sheen you desire with MicroMesh. BTW-I am NOT a finishing guru, just a woodorker suggesting what I would do.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 06-28-2015 at 4:29 PM.