Thread: Router Poster

Router Poster

I'm brand new to using a router. Can anyone recommend a poster that illustrates the profiles created by different bits that I can hang in my shop? I'm looking for a poster with good, clear photo illustrations of profiles with bit names. An added bonus would be a chart that shows the proper speeds for different size bits. I'll be using a PC 7518 in my table. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I've ever seen a chart like you are seeking, but Freud used to have some nice catalogs that showed their selection of cutters.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I thought I'd do a little digging on the Internet and quickly came up with something from Amana that might answer your question. I don't think I am allowed to post the link so go to Amanatool's website, select products, then router bits. Then mid-way down the page on the left you'll see a button titled "view router bit index".

I found several other pages by searching for "router bit profile chart" but this looks closest to what I think you are requesting.

Mitchell

Contact Amana and ask for a catalog. All the cutters wool have illustrations with dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Garnett View Post
    I thought I'd do a little digging on the Internet and quickly came up with something from Amana that might answer your question. I don't think I am allowed to post the link so go to Amanatool's website, select products, then router bits. Then mid-way down the page on the left you'll see a button titled "view router bit index".

I found several other pages by searching for "router bit profile chart" but this looks closest to what I think you are requesting.

Mitchell
    Mitchell, thanks for the search, but unfortunately, that only shows a few profiles with vague categories.

Here is the link: http://www.amanatool.com/category_view_index?id=90

I've looked many times for the same diagram. Amazingly it doesn't seem to exist. - And the same goes for molding planes.

There is a small selection showing the most common shapes in Bill Hylton's book "Ultimate Guide To The Router Table." This is an excellent book & I highly recommend it for the beginner-to-mid woodworker.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone (not me, I have a workshop to build) to get creative.
    Chart.jpg
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

The MLCS catalog seems to do a good job of showing what bit in what orientation will cut what.

Considering the plethora of available bit sizes, profiles and brand specifics, such a chart might cover an entire wall of your shop.

Most sites categorize profiles by function and you take it from there.

MLCS would be a good place to start the learning curve. They carry a diverse selection and quite often items that one didn't know one needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I've looked many times for the same diagram. Amazingly it doesn't seem to exist. - And the same goes for molding planes.

There is a small selection showing the most common shapes in Bill Hylton's book "Ultimate Guide To The Router Table." This is an excellent book & I highly recommend it for the beginner-to-mid woodworker.
    You know, maybe there is a market need for this, don't know. I ordered that book, thanks for the tip.

Take your bits and cut small strip piece of each. Glue or brad a profile and face piece of each and write the name on each. i run anything less than 1.5" as fast as I can spin it. Different woods hve different results. ALso number of passesand deth of pass. Use yourfence. Above all just prctice, be safe, dont overthink it, and the best advice - make the router work. Too slow and too light will burn. That 7518 kicks up torque whne you work it. Go to a ww experienced friends shop and have him show you.

Porter Cable used to have such a poster. I had one on the door of my old shop, but left it when I moved. Maybe ebay?

Did you keep scrolling down Kent?
    I see around 200 profiles plus accessories.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Mitchell, thanks for the search, but unfortunately, that only shows a few profiles with vague categories.

Here is the link: http://www.amanatool.com/category_view_index?id=90