Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My brother Mike's log house

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    DIY'er is a relatively new term and I don't know if I would apply it to him. we were brought up in an environment I guess of thinking and doing. this link will show what we were raised around. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...p-in-Steveston .I had a fascination with the automobile for about 14 years and at 30 came back to what I have been doing for the last 40 years - woodworking.
    in that link is a boat that my brother built in 1970 called the Hell's Gate. he ha d bought just the bare 42' glass hull and did the rest and then in the mid 80's he bought a 55' wooden boat called the "Northern Breeze" and rebuilt her and took her out on halibut.
    computers have changed our livesso much now that a lot of these types of skill are going
    ron
    this is a continuation upon my answer here. it is funny of how we come upon quotations and where we find them. I jusy came upon this in one of the last of Louis L'amour's books called "Haunted Mesa" 1987

"The world is changing fast. When I was a youngster there were still a hundred jobs a man could do who had no education. Most of them have vanished. It's not even a machine world as we knew it. Now it's a computer world, and if you don't have education and the ability to adapt you're out of it. You either get an education or find a place on skid row."

L'amour, Louis. the Haunted Mesa (1987) (Kindle Locations 1958-1960).

ron

I think that pendulum is starting to swing. Many of the trades are hurting, and college is oversold--too many people with degrees and nowhere to use them while many skilled labor jobs go unfilled. Pretty much all education institutes push kids towards college whether they belong there or not, yet studies have shown that people who produce things with their hands feel the most fulfillment in their lives.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Ron -

Words fail me. Except - sorry for the early loss of your brother.

Regardless of who owns the house now, they are living in a testament to his abilities and work ethic. I hope they realize that, and appreciate it.

You oughta mail them a DVD with the photos and his story................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

not a good picture of the saw but as mentioned before that it was a hopped up old McCullough 797 chain saw putting out about 14hp that was his go to saw. he used husqvarna saws for falling
    I have the saw
    ron
    Thanks Ron. Geez, 14 HP is a monster. I use a Husky 385XP for milling which is around 7 HP if I remember right. I've often wanted more when I get into logs larger than 24" or so.

As for college or skid row - I think there are lots of ways to make money, some easier than others. But in nearly all cases there's no substitution for basic intelligence and hard work. Doesn't matter if you are a banker or plumber. The smart ones who work really hard generally do well.

John

Walker built those saws for competition at logging events. there was a pull for the compression release or you would never get them started. those saws also ruined a lot of hands over the years from the fallers that used them from the vibration. with the Alaskan mill with a 30"cut you jussyt opened the throttle and it would cut full bore
    ron

Walker built those saws for competition at logging events. there was a pull for the compression release or you would never get them started. those saws also ruined a lot of hands over the years from the fallers that used them from the vibration. with the Alaskan mill with a 30"cut you jussyt opened the throttle and it would cut full bore
    ron
    That was what I was wondering, figuring they'd either have to have low/high gear or something else, otherwise you'd rip your arm off at the shoulder.

Beautiful house and great story, thanks for sharing!

My brother would have been 75 the other day on the 30th if he was still here. this was his goofy pic wearing his Steveston sports jacket

and this is what he made his living with and he built this too except for the bare hull which is f/glass

I did 2 seasons with him on the west coast of the Queen Charlotte Is. fishing halibut one of which was on this boat in 75. the other was in 69'
    ron
    Last edited by ron david; 08-02-2015 at 3:36 AM.

Wow, incredible! Thanks for sharing your brother's story, enjoyable and inspirational for sure!

I love Kent's idea of sending them a DVD with the pictures and story of the house. It should live on with the structure. I'm sure they would appreciate it, how could you not.....

Very nice work and saved a few $ in the process..Weel done!!!!
    Jerry

That's awesome, wish I had the talent and know how to do that on our farm, dream life right there.

11. Incredible! Both the stories and the pictures. We need more people like your brother in the world. Feel free to keep sharing anything else you have. This is fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Incredible! Both the stories and the pictures. We need more people like your brother in the world. Feel free to keep sharing anything else you have. This is fascinating.

well we grew up in an environment that kids do not get anymore which you can see part of in the following link; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...p-in-Steveston . this link is still being
    added to and just got it's 50,000th hit this morning
    here are a couple of links of what I do http://s908.photobucket.com/user/pad...?sort=3&page=1 http://s908.photobucket.com/user/pad...?sort=3&page=1
    I do have stories of my brother's exploits out on the west coast if people want more. here is one when he was falling one winter of the Carmannagh. He told me that he was 10 1/2 hours on the undercut. I would have loved to have seen the size of that spruce tree
    ron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    You oughta mail them a DVD with the photos and his story................
    Amen to that. I think it would be appreciated. I know I would be thrilled to see the pics and read the story if I lived there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks cool I love that kind of houses.

Great photos and story, thanks for sharing.