Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My brother Mike's log house

My nephew was by today who I hadn't seen in 7 or 8 years told me that the house had been sold again awhile back for 1.2 million. that would have made my brother happy
    ron

gorgeous home! inspiring design I love it

Way, way, way, way necrothread (8 years old), but I couldn't resist after I saw that the OP still hangs out with us. I stumbled across it web surfing today . . .

Ron, your brother was one heckova man to build this beauty. My hat's off to him. I don't think I can handle a 14 hp chainsaw and it sounds like he did it all the time. Wow!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ron, thanks for sharing this. There's something about log homes. I never grow tired of seeing them.

I built my own house but had a lot of help in the process. I appreciate all the work your brother put into that house. Impressive! Did I read it right he built that in a year? If so, that's doubly impressive!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Way, way, way, way necrothread (8 years old), but I couldn't resist after I saw that the OP still hangs out with us. I stumbled across it web surfing today . . .

Ron, your brother was one heckova man to build this beauty. My hat's off to him. I don't think I can handle a 14 hp chainsaw and it sounds like he did it all the time. Wow!

Fred
    thread is only 3 years old. the saw was originally built by bob walker in Nanaimo, B.c. bob built saws for competition and they were called a Walkerized saw. there are a few you tube videos on his saws and he owned Walker saw shop and was a good friend of my brother's. he was my brother's executor.
    thank you for the words
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Ron, thanks for sharing this. There's something about log homes. I never grow tired of seeing them.

I built my own house but had a lot of help in the process. I appreciate all the work your brother put into that house. Impressive! Did I read it right he built that in a year? If so, that's doubly impressive!
    Kenneth S. Pratt
    he went from start to lockup in one year by himself. he did buy an old t4 crawler tractor that he rebuilt and that was his helper in putting any thing up will the aid of poles and cables. he did fall his own trees milled everything with that McCulloch chain saw inc. all the lumber and cut his own shakes
    believe that he only worked 30 days that year fishing and still netted 100,000.00. this was the year after his boat , the Northern Breeze burnt out of Bull Harbour and he skippered the Velma C the year that he put up the house. he was guaranteed 10,000.00 for each halibut trip that he was skipper just to set foot on board. he got the nickname "Iron Mike" and that is on his tombstone. his first trip out on the Velma C that year he blacktopped the hold with halibut in record time. when you load the hold with halibut you load with the belly up (white side up) and when you fill it up the top halibut go black side up and you head for home to unload
    here is the Northern Breeze , 55'

here is the Velma C as she was then

and now

ron

The good old days on Vancouver Island - the bunks on the logging truck were 14 feet wide and 3 Douglas Fir logs were a full load - the plywood mill would make sheets of Douglas Fir plywood 4 feet by whatever length you wanted - every veneer layer with no knots or voids - I saw sheets 100 feet long - I ran red cedar thru a planer all shift and never saw a knot

The craftsmanship, love and hard work that went into the build of this house is simply amazing. Your brother stands as an example to us all.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

These pictures are amazing. The house is beautiful and the craftsmanship is first-rate.

One of my many interests is chainsaws. I rebuild dead saws and sell them. I got interested in old saws years ago and have a collection in my garage. I have a McCulloch 795 and a 797 that was put in a 895 frame. Those saws are beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    These pictures are amazing. The house is beautiful and the craftsmanship is first-rate.

One of my many interests is chainsaws. I rebuild dead saws and sell them. I got interested in old saws years ago and have a collection in my garage. I have a McCulloch 795 and a 797 that was put in a 895 frame. Those saws are beasts.
    think that they are coming back into voque. guys are hunting for these saws now it seems. i do have my brother's 797 and have to put it back together
    ron