Thread: Forstner recommendation update

Forstner recommendation update

I use my forstners a lot. They are CMT and Freud. I use them drilling a couple inches into end grain of various hardwoods. I got the sharpening kit from Rocklers.

When I add another two bits, 1-1/2" and 1-3/4", I want them to last as long as possible.

Are your current recommendations Famag, Freud, & CMT?

Thanks,

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My only experience is with the Freud carbide tipped and I don't use them that often... but they work really well.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have been using the Fisch Hex Wave Forstner bits. I have them up through 2" and I have had no problems with them. I really like the wave design of the cutters and the hex bit doesn't slip in my drill press.

Famag got the top marks from FW, Grizzly was the best value. Famag bits are available from Traditional Woodworker (and they're not cheap)

I have Famag Bormax and have found them to be excellent - but Colt should probably go on the list of good quality Forstners too. These guys in Germany have information on all of the makes mentioned here: https://www.fine-tools.com/forstnerbohrer.html

If you use them a whole lot, then carbide tipped bits are probably the best solution. If that's too expensive, the Famag have been good bits for me, and I think the Colt is probably equally good, although I haven't used them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    ....... the Famag have been good bits for me, and I think the Colt is probably equally good, although I haven't used them.
    I have. They are. I have both. Pick 'em.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

OK, so I can be happy choosing FAMAG Bormax, Colt Maxi-Cut, and Fisch Wave-cutter.
    I can't find adequate reviews of Carbide Forstners so I am going with one of these premium brands of steel.

Problem: I can't read the language to see which lines of these brands are High Carbon Steel and which are High Speed Steel.

I'll get a 1-3/4" forstner that I intend to use hundreds of times making 2 to 3" holes in end-grain hardwoods. Everything looks to be $37 to $55, which is fine. Can anyone who has one of these brands tell me if it is HCS or HSS?

There's fairly comprehensive information on the Famag website: http://www.famag.com/en/Products.aspx

So far as i know the Famag forstners if not carbide are an alloy steel (possibly something a bit like an A2?) - but beyond that they probably won't be saying much about the metallurgy.

They may have rationalised the range a bit by now, but as of a few years ago there were several quality levels/capabilities available. Some local re-sellers probably may tend not to want to mention this.

Perhaps it would be worth a call or an e-mail to tech support at the factory outlining what you want to do and asking for a recommendation?

Thanks everyone. I found a Maxi-Cut made of M2 steel on Lee Valley. That's the combination I was looking for. Final price with shipping $58.35 for a 1-3/4" forstner.

Brian,

I have a full set of Maxi Cuts and have been very happy with them. Got most of them when Woodcraft was closing them out.

Jack

I first owned CMT Forstner bits and hated them. Most of my router bits are CMT and I've always been happy with them, so I was surprised their Forstner bits weren't of the same quality. After they were stolen, I bought a set of Freud bits and love them!
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain