Thread: baking soda over 60

baking soda over 60

The directions on an Arm and Hammer baking soda box say that as a treatment for indigestion the maximum dose per 24 hours is "seven 1/2 teaspoons, three 1/2 teaspoons if you are over 60 years". Why the change in dosage with age? Is it just a precaution against causing high blood pressure?

I cannot find anything definitive, but it is apparently due to lower tolerance to the possible side effects. It is also not recommended for children under 5 years. It can get nasty: http://drsircus.com/medicine/sodium-...traindications
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

hmmm...

The only thing I can think of is the reaction Baking Soda has with vinegar. Old people are full of vinegar.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

My late husband used baking soda regularly......... His doctor blamed it for the worst case of esophagus erosion he'd ever seen. So just a warning..........

Blog Entries
    Do you like the taste of celery?

Lovage is a plant used by some as a substitute for celery in cooking and salads. Some say it has a taste like celery on steroids.

Lovage also has an anesthetic property which relieves indigestion and other stomach pains.

Candy, my wife, doesn't like celery. So she takes a couple of Junior Mints along with a couple of lovage leaves when she has indigestion.

I grow it and use it. It is a perennial plant that goes dormant in the winter. The leaves can be dried for later use.

You may be able to get it from a local nursery.

It can be grown from seed. I all but gave up trying to grow it from seed. Then by strange circumstance of some seeds being tossed into a bucket of old potting soil for the compost pile and Candy flooding the bucket while watering in the greenhouse it was learned that the seeds need to be in a swamp like condition to germinate.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

At either dose it's an appalling amount of sodium to take on on any regular basis-- especially if your kidneys are already not so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    My late husband used baking soda regularly......... His doctor blamed it for the worst case of esophagus erosion he'd ever seen. So just a warning..........
    I expect the acid reflux that required the baking soda caused the erosion, not the baking soda.

Stephen, if you are taking that much, you ought to see someone about it. My father died of esophageal cancer caused mainly by acid reflux; of course smoking a pipe also was about the worst thing he could have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post

Stephen, if you are taking that much, you ought to see someone about it.
    I'm not taking any. I just find reading the directions on boxes interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Do you like the taste of celery?

Lovage is a plant used by some as a substitute for celery in cooking and salads. Some say it has a taste like celery on steroids.

Lovage also has an anesthetic property which relieves indigestion and other stomach pains.

Candy, my wife, doesn't like celery. So she takes a couple of Junior Mints along with a couple of lovage leaves when she has indigestion.

I grow it and use it. It is a perennial plant that goes dormant in the winter. The leaves can be dried for later use.

You may be able to get it from a local nursery.

It can be grown from seed. I all but gave up trying to grow it from seed. Then by strange circumstance of some seeds being tossed into a bucket of old potting soil for the compost pile and Candy flooding the bucket while watering in the greenhouse it was learned that the seeds need to be in a swamp like condition to germinate.

jtk
    Out here, close to CO, we have a different leaf we use for cooking and indigestion. Mostly used in baking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Out here, close to CO, we have a different leaf we use for cooking and indigestion. Mostly used in baking though.
    ...or getting baked?

Personally, I find for heartburn/acid reflux, there are a few things that cause it, and a few things that help it.

Causes (not exhaustive, to be sure):

-sugar
    -grease/fried foods
    -tomatoes (especially sauces)
    -alcohol
    -spices

Remedies (again, not exhaustive):

-fiber
    -non-citrus fruits
    -vegetables
    -milk
    -water
    -stay vertical for several hours after you eat

The more I eat from the second list, the less likely things from the first list give me problems.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

This can upset your acid/base and make you one sick puppy. Allan tired and retired RN.
    C&C WELCOME